Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP continuous reboot + Win98 Windows protection error problem

• Please log in to reply

iamkapilb

iamkapilb

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello guys,
I have a 4 year old system with the following configuration:
P4 1.6GHz, 512MB 133MHz SDRAM on VIA P4M266 motherboard running Windows 98 SE on one partition and WinXP SP2 on other.
Today morining i was checking my mails and suddenly got the usual winXP error message in Firefox and it asked to close the application. So i clicked dont send error report and closed the application. Tried starting Firefox again, but got the same problem repeatedly. I thought something is wrong with Firefox so tried opening IE. To my surprise it too didnt start and displayed the same error message. Without checking if other applications were working fine, i restarted the machine. While shutting down a message said there was problem with a file "Wault/d.xxx" i didnt really care bout it cause i didnt know the severity at that time.

When the computer finally shut down it would reboot and go till the Windows XP splash screen and reboot again. This loop just didnt stop no matter what i do. I tried booting in safe mode, last known good configuration etc. etc. But it didnt help. I cannot even reach the logon screen. So next i tried starting Win98, but that too would'nt load and comes to a screen with message "Windows protection error detected, please restart your computer".
I am amazed how both operating systems in perfect working condition can go bad simultaneously? What should i do?
I have a DSL connection and had kept the computer on overnight for downloading a movie. I have Avast AV installed. I dont think its a virus cause i was downloading an AVI file.
Please advice.

Thanks,
Kapil

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing i would try is to get into safe mode and see if you can restore beck to a previous date. You will have to get into the XP system to do this. Hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up will give you the choice of safe mode. If you can't restore back to a previous date you can try doing a system file check. Heres a tutorial that you can read.

http://ask-leo.com/w...o_i_run_it.html

If you want to read what SFC is doing read this.

http://ask-leo.com/w..._disappear.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 22 September 2006 - 09:36 AM.

iamkapilb

iamkapilb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Heres an update.
I just cud not log into the machine no matter i try safe mode or whatever. So theres no way i can run a system file checker.
Yesterday night i tried to reinstall/repair Windows XP. I have a bootable WinXP with SP2 built in. I booted from CD and it started loading some files and then instantly i get this message stating \"setup cannot continue, error code is 7\"
So i thought of reinstalling Win98 in the same location where i had previous version of 98using the win98 bootable cd and it copied all the files asked for a restart and there was a Win98 splash screen with \"Get ready to use windows98 for the first time\" and then again i got the same message \"Windows protection error, You need to reboot your system\"
This is the strangest problem i\'ve ever encountered.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This any help
error 7

iamkapilb

iamkapilb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the replies guys!
@Peterm: I get a different error \"Setupdd.sys not found, error code is 7\".
These are the things i\'ve tried:
1. Somewhere i read its due to load on Power supply and it suggested to remove PCI cards and then try. So i removed all 3 of them but no luck.
2. Some say RAM is the culprit, so i changed its position to another slot. Still no good.
3. Changed BIOS setting to \"Fail-Safe\" default. but again no luck.
4. Changed the CMOS battery, it was nearly 4-5 years old. Still no use.
5. I had created drive image of properly functioning Windows 98 using Norton Ghost. i loaded that but still Windows 98 gives the same error \"Windows protection error, You need to reboot your system\"
6. Tried \"fdisk /mbr\", no use.

The only thing left to do is check my system with new stick of RAM. Will do that soon and keep you guys updated.
Also if CMOS is at fault, do i need to flash BIOS to correct it?
I am really fedup with this system and will buy a new PC tomorrow, but i aint shying away from the problem. I wanna get this resolved.
Please advice what to do?

Thanks,
Kapil
P.S. Today morning when i was about to leave for office a guy from my locality came to me and asked if i can help fix his computer. I said \"Ok, whats the problem?\". He said \"My PC keeps on rebooting endlessly\". I was like \"What the [bleep]??.. now this things contagious??\" :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
To check your memory try this
Memory tester