Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power goes off suddenly and then power switch does not work

• Please log in to reply

jfy143

jfy143

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,
I have a desktop in which SMPS has a switch. If the switch is on then only power will go to motherboard and other things.
Now I see that sometimes even if the SMPS switch is on, power switch does not work. To make it work, I have to make off SMPS switch and then on again. After this if I push power button power will come. This does not happen always but sometimes.
I also observed while installing windows XP , that sometimes when installation process is going on, automatically power goes off. Then if I push power button , power will not come to machine. Power will come only when I make SMPS switch off followed by on.

I observed that power is continuously coming to my monitor from UPS, so UPS is not issue. What is not clear is why automatically power goes off while installing windows xp? And if it goes off, why power button stop working until I make SMPS swich off and then on.

Is there some issue with connections? with SMPS?
I have 945 gigabyte mother board and Intel dual core cpu.

TIA,

Advertisements

Scotty501

Scotty501

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm no expert but this happened to me and it turned out it was due to my PSU not being powerful enough....it maybe the same here....

jfy143

jfy143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
can the problem be due to grounding problem in house?
I took the machine to some other place, there problem did not occur !
So I guessed that the issue may be due to UPS, hence I disconnected UPS. And made direct
connection using a spike buster. However once again I see the same problem.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i had a grounding problem with my house.. THE GORUND WIRE WASENT EVEN CONNECTED!!!!! I fried 3 computers before i checked into my power for the house. Called power company and thy installed new circut to my office and re grounded the house. I also have a UPS. It is very likely that a ground issue or wiring issue in your house is to blame as computers are very sensetive to spikes in voltes.