Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD R/RW and DVD ROM not woring

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Please help. I am quite confused at this time.
Problem:....
I was trying to load a driver on my computer (Lexmark network printer), but I cannot load the CD ROM in my CD R/W drive or DVD drive.
DVD drive keeps opening and closing the tray when I put the CD in, and after 3 times, opens the tray and stays open.
When I put it in the CD R/W drive , the drive LED starts blinking and then turns off. If I check in the Explorere the drive letter still just shows the drive letter instead of the title of the CD in the tray. If I click on the drive letter, the drive LED starts blinking again but nothing happens.

What I have tried:...
I loaded the same Lexmark CD on another machine and it started the install program automatically.
I loaded a diferent program CD on my computer and that strated the install program automatically from both the CD drive and the DVD drive.
So the drives seem ok and CD seems ok, but for some reason the LEX CD is not working in the drives on my computer.

I got my M/B and CPU upgraded a couple of months ago, so I had to load the Windows XP again. I used the same drives to load the Windows XP Prof edition on the machine (and the drives worked fine). I also had to reformat the HD for reloading the windows, so everything was a clean start.
Just to be on the safe side, I also uninstalled both the drives and had widnows find the drives again, just to make sure that they had the right drivers.
Stil the same results.

I am not able to use my network printer since I cannot load the drivers.
Can someone help???

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Right click the CD Drive, click remove, confirm, reboot

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Keith: Thanks for the reply.
I alreadt tried that. I went to Device Manager and 'uninstalled' both the CD and DVD drives. (Did not see 'Remove' option though?). Then I rebooted the machine so that windows can find and reinstall the hardware. It still has the same problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://download.micr...240/AutoFix.exe

Description
Windows XP was designed to make it simpler to identify content on CDs or DVDs, and assist in launching the correct program to open or view the files. For example, insert a movie DVD and Windows XP should show options for programs that can play a DVD. Unfortunately things can go wrong - settings get altered and the autorun no longer wants to be your friend. This free tool can help diagnose and repair autorun problems in XP. It is a tiny download and doesn't require installation. Simply double-click the exe file, click a few buttons (OK, some options are a little cryptic) and you can change or repair your Windows XP autorun options.

If no change, check or a CD Drive firmware update, though it needs to be the correct one as they are irreversible

After that, check for a BIOS update

Everest will tell you component details

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Keith: Thanks for the steps.
I ran the AutoFix. It could not fix. Here is a par6t of the log:
Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Fired)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: Deleting ShellHWDetection LaunchPermission (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission)
Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to delete this registry value (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission).

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

The above mentioned entry did not exist in the Regedit. under the same key there are two other entries, but !Launchpermission did not exist.

Then I used the Everest homeEdition - the CD rom did not have any firmware upgrade.

So is there any other way of getting the printer drivers loaded so that I can use the printer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Lexmark are good with having downloads for software and drivers

Post back if you cannot find them

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for all your help.

Just to close out, here is how I was able to resolve it.

I wentt to my other machine and copied the CD using Nero (just a regular full back up CD to CD copy)
Then used the backup CD on my machine.
Once inserted it came up with install screen, and printed drivers etc installed fine. Tested printer - works fine too.
I dont know what was on the original CD that was preventing it but a backup CD worked ok.
I appreciate the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know