Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring DELL XP OS to Clone

• Please log in to reply

Scotty501

Scotty501

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My brother has a Dell PC which has its own DELL version of XP (i.e. only to be used on a Dell PC) - he is upgrading to a new MB and Processor - but I wondering how he will get round the "This is not a Dell" issue.

I guess he could plug his HDD straight in and it will update and install all the new hardware it finds - but the cleanest way is a format - will he have to buy a new copy of XP to do this? Is there a work around?

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
There is no workaround as far as I know... you will have to buy a new edition of XP complete with the COA, this is due to the fact that it will be an OEM version of XP installed by dell and the serial is tied to main parts of the system, I would say that changing the motherboard and CPU together will almost certainly render the windows invalid .

I Would also be carefull when replacing parts in a Dell system especially the Mobbo, it may pay to register at the Dell forums where you can get their opinion from the Dell experts before parting with your hard earned cash.