Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot

• Please log in to reply

mummykim

mummykim

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My sons computer will not boot up. Everytime he tries to start it the loadup screen automatically goes to a menu options screen such as

SAFE MODE.
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK SUPPORT
Ect. ect.

However, no matter what option he uses he gets the same warning.
Cannot load <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
followed by reinstall above.

For 1 i dont understand what this means. 2ndly i cannot find his restore disc. Is there anyway this can be fixed. Is this caused by a virus, or a misuse by him.
Can anyone assist with this problem please.

Kim

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Here is some information on that file... http://www.processli...es=ntoskrnl.exe ... It's an essential file. It looks like it can be virus related, so I'll need to ask if this person had updated protection. Also, were any changes made to the system recently?

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
son said he had no protection up that he knows ,also said that he had down loaded seekmo?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well first, he needs protection. If you don't have protection, then you're more less begging for an infection. Also, is he aware of what Seekmo is? Have a look: http://www.spywaregu...how.php?id=2368 ... It's not the worst of the worst by any means, but I doubt that he only has this little infection on that system.

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
can he do anything without start up disc?

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
can he do anything without re-store disc?

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have had a lend of windows xp disc but still wont load it is now saying that there is no hard drive?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Is the pc making any kind of strange noises, grinding or otherwise? It sounds like you may have a bad hard drive.

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
does'nt seem to be making any kind of noise?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Thats ok. They don't all make noise when they start to fail. Lets try this;
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
have tried to do the above but once the disc has down loaded files its still saying no hard drive?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is this a dell, hp, compaq, or custom built system? We need to go into the bios settings and see if it the hard drive is being detected.

Alternatively have you ever opened your computer case to see what was inside?

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
its a Q-tech,When in bios setup he can not find a hard drive & theres no disk to reinstall it

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, I think we have reached the point at what we can do for you. I think you should take it into a local computer shop and let them diagnose it for you. You either have a bad hard drive or have lost the hard drive controller (ide port) on the system board.

however, Just to check, please open the computer case and verify the hard drive and power cables are seated properly. If there is a loose connection then that could be causing the issue as well.

mummykim

mummykim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks for your help,i have been in touch with the makers and they are going to send someone to fix problem.i forgot that it was still under warrenty.you have great site :whistling: ,i have added it to my favorites list for future refrence.