Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC

• Please log in to reply

gbowne1

gbowne1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Howdy Ya'll!

This is my introductory post. Please Look at my profile here. I have varying problems with the PC I described there.

I'm not a power user, but I've learned stuff since I got a Windows PC in 1997.

Both the ASUS CDRW and the DVD show up in the black screen on boot up as ATA 33 devices.. when they should be either UDMA or ATA 100 devices in the list.

Another wierd thing happens when the PC starts up when the phone rings. It somehow must wake up from a full power off condition. Just how it is, I don't know. I tried the settings in the power control panel, but it doesn't change anything.

I really need to go back and zero the HDD to refresh it and start out new again anyhow, then re-install XP Home. As well as flash a new BIOS (it's not the latest), download the updates, and new drivers, etc.

Which reminds me, Anyone got a list of the reccomended KB fixes or is the list on the MS web site?

I had a horrible time trying to find drivers for the Samsung DVD-ROM. Still can't.

Right now, I'd love some help.

Oh yeah and I'm connecting to my ISP @ 48k when I believe I should be about 4k faster. My ISP is NoCharge.com in Seattle,WA.

Any thoughts, commments, suggestions are welcome.

Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CD units don't run at ATA100. They traditionally run at ATA33, although some boards can run them at ATA66 if you have the right cable.

As to the PC waking up when the phone rings, this will be because the option in the BIOS which reads "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Ring" has been enabled. Turn it off.

As for Microsoft fixes, Windows Update will sort you out, or you can use Autopatcher.

Regarding internet connection speeds, 4k isn't going to make a world of difference on a dial-up internet connection, plus phone lines and modems are very fickle.

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the help!

I really need the extra 4k on dialup. I'm not really slow.. but speeds from 50k to 52k would be great.

I'm gonna try fixing the Wake-ON condition the next time I boot.

I spent a whole day downloading drivers, firmware, manuals, for the computer and burnt it to a CD.
I saw a lot of stuff available that wasnt included when I got the computer.

I'm assuming the modem I have is onboard.. via a Intel chip. I haven't been inside the PC yet.. not looked at the MB manual.. which I will do.

I'm just assuming this computer HAS NOT been configured to the most optimal configuration.

The other thing is that I have also not found the driver for the Hercules 3D Prophet II MX card.

My peronal main PC is an Athlon XP 2.0 machine running XP Home on a ASUS A7N8X-X. Details about that will be in further new topics. I originally had ME on this machine.

The PC I'm talking about is my mothers which I maintain. But I also managed to put together a manual that mom can use.. which has details about her computer. She uses it primarily for Yahoo! Email and to run Family Tree Maker. The computer store which built it is no longer in business. (Sorry to say..)

Attached to it is a Dell E770s monitor, Compaq (HP) USB keyboard and a MicroInv optical mouse PD715P.

Greg

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just for your information.

http://drivers.softp...sion-4041.shtml

or

http://ts.hercules.c...i...id=43&cid=1

If you go to the samsung website, click on support> computer &related products>odd products>DVD rom drive> and pick your model out you should be able to get drivers.

SRX660

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi again. Thanks SRX660.

I looked at the Hercules Site where the downloads are in the link given. I'm not sure which 3D Prophet II driver to download, because there appear to be several different versions.

I have no idea which exact card I have. I'ma gonna hafta doo some snoopin inside the case.

I'll be back with more questions.. :whistling:

I used AIDA32 to evaluate the system. I reccomend it to people who would like to know whats in their computers.

I haven't used that SiSoft Sandra yet but I hope to..

Greg

Edited by gbowne1, 22 September 2006 - 08:41 PM.