Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

start menu icons changed to folders.

• Please log in to reply

slippiefist

slippiefist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i'm kind of new to computers, so please be patient.

the problem is not with the larger icons in the start menu, but all of the icons in the "all programs" list are now folders. media player, firefox, quick time, accessories, microsoft works, everything.

how do i get my icons back? please help.

Edited by slippiefist, 22 September 2006 - 03:36 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Probably the easist method is to go to kelly's Korner and download the #117 file. Please read the howto at the top of the page to make it work.

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Two others that may help with tskbar and/or desktop icons are the # 164 and the #195 on kelly's list.

SRX660

slippiefist

slippiefist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
tried those three things, didnt fix the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Accessories can show like this

[attachment=10827:attachment]

Is media player the same?

slippiefist

slippiefist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the following icons stayed the same: internet explorer, remote assistance, windows media player, real player, all sub-menu icons

the following were changed: accessories, microsoft works, adobe, games, startup, verizon yahoo!, verizon internet security suite, verizon servicepoint, mozilla firefox, real, mozilla thunderbird, apple software update, quicktime, ypops!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Apparently this happens quite a lot in XP. I have not found the answer yet but i do have a fix. If you right click on the folder, then click properties. In the window that comes up click on the customize tab. At the bottom click on change icon. The icons showing are the ones in the shellicon cache. You will click browse and go to the programs folder then to the folder that program is in. Click on the exe file there and some icons will show up. Click on the one you want abd click OK. Your icon will be to what was supposed to be there or what you want. I have done this with most of the icons on my start/programs folders.

SRX660

slippiefist

slippiefist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you so much. i'm am manually replacing them now. thank you for the instuctions.
problem solved, i think now i'm supposed to say "end this thread" or something like that. you know what i mean.
thanks again. this is a valuable service you offer the world for free.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
mine are like that Too i just think it has to do with micorsoft updates cause theres is so many of them so if it is updates which one

i changed a few icons just the most used ones the folder ones i just skip over makes it easier to find programs and i drag them to one column to make it that much easier

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 September 2006 - 11:48 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just did a new XP install on a computer today. These programs icons are the folder with the grey fuzzywindow in front of it.

Accessories, Games, intel application accelerator, printme internet printing, and startup.

All the other programs that come in XP's programs menu have their own icons.

SRX660