Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can not copy file from one HD to another

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Here is a problem I have never seen in any forum and it just started tonight on my computer.

I can not copy a file from one hard drive to another. I am trying to copy a file from my drive D:\ to my system drive C:\.

I get an Error(5) access denied:
It gives me the choices to Retry, Skip, or Skip all.
I can copy files from folder to folder on the same drive. Like I said this just started since I booted about an hour ago. Never had this problem before. Any ideas?

Edited by richocki, 22 September 2006 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Interesting...

When you move the folders from drive to drive, try Taking Ownership. Does that help?

It's curious that this happened all at once. Had you just installed this drive?

wannabe1

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thank you wannabe1 for the quick response.

I rebooted and found that I could then copy a file but not if it was in a compressed /rar or .zip folder.
If I first copied the file from a compressed folder to the same hard drive I was then able to copy that file to the other drive. I was not able to take ownership of the compressed folder. There was no security tab and clicking on advanced there was no owner tab.

I am still interested in a complete fix to this so I can again copy from even a compressed folder to a different HD. I have not installed a applications and the HD's have both been installed for a long time.