Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alternatives to Firefox?

• Please log in to reply

Eric Melech

Eric Melech

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I really really like Firefox, but I'm not comfortable using a browser that will most likely be the target for next-gen spyware as it's fast becoming the most popular browser out there. If and when that happens, what should I use instead? Please, don't say IE or anything based on IE as that browser (and all its derivatives) makes me gag when I have to use it.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Eric Melech,

[quote[but I'm not comfortable using a browser that will most likely be the target for next-gen spyware as it's fast becoming the most popular browser out there.[/quote]

A great thing about Firefox, unlike IE, is that when a security hole is found, it is almost immediatley fixed. As spyware advances to target Firefox, Firefox will advance to stop it :tazz:

Some other good browsers though are Opera and Slimbrowser.

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Opera is great - mail and chat client included.
Not all sites will open in Opera though, but all the ones that I need do :tazz:

Eric Melech

Eric Melech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Opera is great - mail and chat client included.
Not all sites will open in Opera though, but all the ones that I need do  :tazz:

View Post

One thing Opera doesn't have: Adblock ;)

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
The Mozilla Suite browser, Navigator, is very good once you get used to it. It has a lot in common with Firefox (or should that be the other way around, Navigator being the sort of 'parent') such as quite a lot of extensions mostly associated with Firefox can be installed, it can be tweaked for speed like Firefox too. Finally, you can download it as just a browser without the rest of the Mozilla suite.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I don't think Firefox is rivalling Internet Explorer's dominance just yet, be great if it was ;)

Curious logic though, I'm just beginning the migration to Linux, an unpatched system may last longer in staying clear from hacks than an unpatched windows system running internet explorer - but all operating systems are vulnerable.

Applying the same logic, one could stay away from Linux, because if it ever does get to challenge Microsoft's dominance of the market, that too will then be targetted by hackers and the like.

Sure, some hackers target Microsoft as an anti-corporate thing, many are just criminally minded or plain ignorant as to the devastating effect their 'work' has on the I.T. community.

Join the quite revolution - check out Linux, ditch internet explorer, resign yourself to the fact that there is no such thing as a safe computer - unless it is buried 6 foot under ground in a concrete bunker and is absolutely not connected to the outer world.

daveB - LinuxWannabee :tazz: