Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't connect to wireless router

• Please log in to reply

skylights

skylights

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card to connect my desktop to my ZyXEL 802.11g Wireless Router. I had already successfully set up the router and established a connection with my laptop, but my desktop was a different story. I followed the instructions that Belkin provided. The adapter sees the network, but won't connect with it. The signal is adequate. I entered the same passphrase I entered when I set up the router.

I called Belkin Tech Support. When their advice didn't work, I searched for info on the internet, and when that wasn't produtive I came here.

I hope someone can walk me through establishing a connection. Please tell me what additional info you need from me. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

John

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
HI John. Can you please tell me all the forms of security you have set on this router? It looks like you already have the passcode set to access the router. What about MAC Addresses, additional codes, etc?

skylights

skylights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

HI John. Can you please tell me all the forms of security you have set on this router? It looks like you already have the passcode set to access the router. What about MAC Addresses, additional codes, etc?

You clued me in to the problem: My router came with a program called Network Magic, and I had enabled the "Network Lock," which uses MAC address filtering. I disabled that, and presto, we have a connection. Thanks for your help! Now if you could just tell me how I can use MAC address filtering without killing the connection. Also, another machine on my network won't connect when Network Name Broadcasting is disabled. How can I enable this and still connect?

Thanks,

John

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well first, please provide me with your router's model number. For specific MAC Address filtering instructions, I will need this. Now, on the second issue, with the service disabled, can it find the router if you scan the area?

skylights

skylights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Since my last post I've read that MAC address filtering and disabling Network Name Broadcasting are ineffective against skilled hackers. WPA however is effective, so I'll be using that instead. Thanks for your replies!

John

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm glad to see that you have a solution. I would still insist that you take all possible security measures however.