Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question, on upgrading computer

• Please log in to reply

playsoldier3

playsoldier3

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, i was wondering about upgrading my computer, i currently have:

Intel Petium D 2.80 GHz
1gb Ram
250mb hard drive
ATI x300 series
Windows Media Center

i was wondering how much it would be to upgrade to a 2g memory, and how to install it
Also what are some good anti-spyware and anti-virus that are top rated, and works great, i currently use webroot spysweeper and norton anti-virus 2006.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Upgrading RAM is a good way to increase performance. It depends on your mainboard as to what you would need to do to increase the amount of RAM. If you currently have an open DIMM slot it can be as easy as adding another 1gig module. You need to know the type of RAM you need. (DDR,DDR2) you just place it in the slot and apply pressure till the end clips close and lock.

If you fell like you should pay for an Internet security suite check out Trendmicro.com. Well rated and fairly priced. I've used AVG free and Zone Alarm Free for years on Windows machines.

playsoldier3

playsoldier3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
ah ok thanks, i think mine is ddr, but im not sure lol, im kinda noob :whistling:

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Again, Crucial.com will give you exactly the memory you need. It'll tell you the memory chip type, then shop around, you'll probably find it elsewhere

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
More than likely you've got a dual channel mobo. Look inside your case and see how many RAM slots you have and what color they are. You probably have 4, with two open. If that is the case, then you would be best served by buying 2X 512MB sticks to put into those empty slots. Just make sure to get the same type that you currently have, and the same brand if possible, although the brand isn't a requirement.