Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying Virus keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply

dstcoyote22

dstcoyote22

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
hello, i am new here, and i have been told from another website that this was a good place to go for help.

here is the scoop, I think my computer has a virus. My antivirus software does not detect one when i scan it. I use Trend Micro PCilin currently, and use Adaware SE for spyware. Now, i will list what goes on

1. A window frequently pops up, saying it is a real time scan security alert and has detected a virus called ADW_LOOK2ME.Y in any file name having to do with C:\System Volume Information\_restore\... blah blah blah\RP128\A0015788.exe
2. It sometimes says ADW_LOOK2ME.AA
3. Where it says first action, it then says Deny Access

but here is what makes it even more strange

4. This only happens when my computer is IDLE, meaning i could be sitting here working on it, nothing happens with the security alerts; but when i get up to go get a cup of coffee, it would appear because i had not working for as little as a few minutes. When i have been away from the computer for long periods of time, there are several indications of the security alert. When i look at the virus logs, i can see that it happens once every hour, so if i have been away for 3 hours, there are 2-3 instances.
5. It also happens whenever i open up Local Disk (C:), the window pops up and this time the so called infected file is C:\Installer, and if i click on installer, the window pops up again.
6. If my computer has been off, and i turn it back on, there are never any indications of finding a virus.

But here is the other thing
1. My computer has been running as smooth since i got it. It is still running as smooth as before i started getting these messages.
2. There are no signs of any applications screwing up, or any signs of the computer slowing down or losing anything. I could still run many things at the same time and nothing bad ever seems to happen. I do not see any damage.
3. What i am saying is, my computer has been running just fine so far, and it has been happening since June.

So what i want to know is: a) is my computer in trouble? or b) do i have absolutely nothing to worry about?

i know this was an extremely long post and i appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. Any help and/or input will be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dstcoyote22...

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

dstcoyote22

dstcoyote22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thank you for your help, i will be doing just what you told me.