Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2k SP2 and USB2

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Guys, is there a way how to extract the USB 2 only install from the SP4?
I need USB 2 speed and deviced detection and I did not want SP4 at all, so I trying to find a way, how to integrate USB 2 into SP2. Is there anyone who did it?

Anyone got any recommendations?

It probably could be taken easy from some of the roll-up padkages, but witch one and where and how... that is the question :blink: Anyone can help, please? :whistling:

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Just to be sure, then the M$ solution (witch require the win update that I trying so hard to avoid in any situation) did not work either...

This one I mean:
http://support.micro...b/319973/EN-US/

Okay, with friend help (no, no way I allow M$ messing with MY windows) I managed it, so for anyone that want the USB2 update w/o hassles, there it is:

http://ax2.old-cans.com/USB2.ZIP

However the lame Sapphire bios probably did not allow the USB to work at all :whistling: :blink: :help:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just to let you know, Windows 2000 works extrememly more stable with SP4 installed. So if I were you, I would go ahead and install the service pack. All your problems would be solved and your operating system will be more stable and reliable to boot. A win win situation.

Fenor

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
SP4 suxx. 3DMark 1999 stop working, among others. Speed is slower. More bloatware and DRM.

No, thanks.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Well, look on the manufacturer of your Motherboard's site, sometimes they carry the USB 2.0 drivers.

--bmwboy

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

SP4 suxx. 3DMark 1999 stop working, among others. Speed is slower. More bloatware and DRM.

No, thanks.

Windows 2000 isn't meant for gaming and that is why it doesn't do well. I suggest you get Windows XP if your machine can handle it or else go back to 98 because it runs games better then 2000 ever could. Also, SP4 doesn't suck, you are just trying to do something with an operating system that isn't meant for it.

Fenor

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
bmwboy - unfortunately the Sapphire does not carry any USB driver... :blink: DFI did, for my previous LP B mainboard and things worked well. Sapphire support sadly suxx...

Fenor - well, let's not get into discussion about why W98SE is useless at best for me, while W2k are optimal and since SP1 they run games well, in fact, BF2 run much better and smoother on W2k that on same machine using XP.
Let's rather concentrate on how to produce something that force Sapphire to fix the USB problems of this otherwise great mobo... :whistling:

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
What's the model number of that board, and if you know, the chipset?

--bmwboy

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Sapphire Pure Innovation "Grouper" A9RX480:
http://www.sapphiret...r...d=117&grp=7

ATI® RADEON XPRESS 200 + SB450

Posted Image

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have a free pci slot you can buy and install a usb 2.0 pci card with four ports. Where i live it cost about 30 dollar. The idea of pulling a usb module out of sp4 doesn't make much sense to me. Even if you could you would probably end up with many other problems.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, I think even M$ started that way, so, I did not see what is wrong with this way.
I do see, however, what is wrong with this bios and therefore I have to bug Sapphire about it - and hard :whistling: :blink: