Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SONY VAIO Laptop Cannot boot problem

• Please log in to reply

Saiwing

Saiwing

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

My daughter's Vaio VGN-FJ250P/B freezes at startup. This is happening after the inital Vaio display screen. Before the first time this happened, she was trying to play a DVD movie with no success. She closed her laptop which went into hibernation mode. Later she later hit the power button to restart and this is where she had her first occurance.

I asked her to perform a series of steps which ended up to be unsuccessful tries.

1. hit F2 at startup to try to get to the Setup and review BIOS: result- got message "stating setup" but did not go into the utility. Tried this several times asking her to continuously tap F2 to insure she is getting the correct sequence. Still no luck.

2. asked her to try F8: result no luck. PC would make beeping sound

I asked her to call Sony support. They walked her thru the same steps and wanted her to do F11 which would restore the system to factory. She did not op for that. The tech asked her to hit F8 and somehow it went thru to load XP and the desktop. She thought the problem was solved. At this time she no longer had a D drive.

I asked her to restart the PC hoping that the BIOS would see the drive and pass it to XP but we got into the freeze again.

Long story-short, I asked her to do F2 again but this time it went pass the F2 clicking with no setup and restarted to XP.

This is basically where we are at this point. Still no D drive and intermittant black screen. She has not turned her PC off since.

So, I thought it coud be that I needed to get the CMOS or BIOS back to factory but I can't get to the setup utility and I can't open the PC to take the cmos battery out. Not sure what the POST error messages are.

This could be a failure in the ram seating, power supply (SONY famous for that), motherboard, etc. What can I do other than send it to the SONY service center which would take 10 business days on average?

You help and advise in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If it is still under warranty, I would make Sony fix it.

Saiwing

Saiwing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks . . I kinda thought that was my only option. Unfortunately, it will take a while and SONY is not great at fixing things.

If you think of anything else let me know.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If it is under warranty, Sony has to fix it for you. If you take it upon yourself to try and fix it they could claim that your action "voided" the warranty. Since it is under warranty, that would be your best course of action.