Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im sure you heard this a thousand times already...

• Please log in to reply

pontiacman

pontiacman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I know you have seen this problem a ton of times by now because I have read almost every post on earth I think to try and fix this and have not gotten it yet.
I started my comp about a month and a half ago and it would boot up fine to the log in screen. I only have one user and it's an admin account. I would log on and it would flash the desk top for a second and log me back off. one thing diffrent with my situation is that I can use safe mode it does not loop me back out. I also have internet access while in safe mode some times. other times I have to restart the comp about 4 or 5 times before I can get access to the internet. I have now tried a million diffrent things so many I don't remember them all. I did a few diffrent things from the microsoft web page and nothing worked I tried replacing the wsupdater thing and that didn't work and many other things. it's been almost 2 months now and I give up. I have alot on my comp and in safe mode I can't get my burner to work so I can save anything to a disk or I woud have just formated. Im not all that great with comp's but I am good at following directions. does anyone have any idea's? thanks for the help!

Advertisements

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can't anyone help??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pontiacman...

Let's see if a selective startup will get you into Normal Mode.

Boot into Safe Mode. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok".

Under the "General" tab, tick the box next to "Selective Startup" and untick the box next to "Load Startup Items". "Apply" the change and choose "Yes" when prompted to reboot.

Does this allow Windows to load normally?

wannabe1

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope I did that and it still logged me right back off after the restart. should I leave it like that or should I go back in and click that box to put it back the way it was? and thank you for the help. do you have any other tricks you can think of? also I finnaly got a program that would work in safe mode to burn cd's so I got most of the important stuff off of my comp. today. I still would like to save it if I can but if you think a format would be the best Idea then I guess I can do that. only prob is the guy who built my comp put windows xp on for me and I don't have a cd or a key. I could prob pick up my parents cd but I wouldn't be able to use there key or could I?

Edited by pontiacman, 23 September 2006 - 08:10 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to Safe Mode Admin account and create a new User Account. Reboot and see if you are able to log into the new account.

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
nope still not working. any other idea's?

Edited by pontiacman, 24 September 2006 - 05:51 AM.

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Does anyone else here have any idea's on how I can save my comp? I work tomorrow and would really like to get my comp fixed today if possible it's been like this for almost 2 month's now. any help is greatly appreciated

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If your parents cd is the same version of Windows that you have installed on your machine, you can use that and YOUR product key to run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks I will try that in a bit and let you know how I made out.

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok I did everything it told me to do and everything was going fine. when it finnaly loaded up and windows was about to install it said that windows could not continue with setup because of one of the following errors. the perimeter is incorrect.
so now what should I do?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a partition error?

When you started the repair, you should have seen a series of blue screens. On the first screen, press "Enter". On the next, press F8. When you see the third screen, post back and tell me what you see...I'll walk you through the rest of the repair... :whistling:

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
actually I said forget it and decided to format and just re install windows and it came up at the end and said the same thing so what do you want me to do now because now im re installing windows and the comp won't start.I followed the directions while it was loading and formated and then when it actually started windows for the install it said the same thing that it was the wrong partition or somthing..

ok I followed what you told me to do and this is what it says
To repair windows hit R
to cont to install a fresh copy of windows without repair press esc

C:\Windows "microsoft windows xp pro"

well im off to bed I have to work early tomorrow morning. If you can just let me know what im supposed to do so tomorrow when I get home from work I can try it and see what happends. Thanks

Edited by pontiacman, 24 September 2006 - 05:24 PM.

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
does anyone have any idea how I can get this thing working again or do I have to get a new hard drive?

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hi,

You could try using scandisk ... if you have a windows xp disc....

Google scandisk for more info

pontiacman

pontiacman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't run scan disc because the comp is formated and I can't get windows xp to install because it says that it's the wrong partition or somthing to that matter