Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW Not burning properly

• Please log in to reply

cmac24

cmac24

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I typically burn a lot of music cds and lately my burner has been working sparingly at best. The only time it works successfully is if I reboot before I try to burn. If I don't then it definitely won't work. I also can't burn more than 2 discs in a row. I've tried different software to burn the cd's so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Here are some of the details about my pc:

HP pavillion a450n
cd-rw/dvd+rw combo drive (Ricoh MP5240A)
Windows XP

Software I've tried - Nero 7, Sonic 6, Winamp, musicmatch.

I have burned dvd backups successfully.

When I use sonic it gives me the following information:

Sense: 03 ASC: 0C ASCQ: 00 (Command 2A)
-------------------------------------------------------
px.dll: 2.4.43.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.51.0
pxmas.dll: 2.4.43.500
pxwave.dll: 2.4.43.500
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

What can I do to find out what the problem is? I know I probably will need to provide additional information, so please let me know what you need to know to help me.
Thanks in advance if you can help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Nero and Roxio (sonic) don't easily co-exist on a computer. I tried Nero once, had to remove all Roxio first. As I recall, the Nero installer told me that. You should probably remove one or the other, and then give it another try. I don't use Nero any longer. I went back to Roxio.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks. I uninstalled Nero and everything seems to be working fine. I successfully burned a few discs especially during times when it would have failed with Nero. It's funny that it worked for months with both installed and only recently started giving me problems.

-----
Edit: I just tried to burn a disc with the same problem as before and the same error message. Any suggestions on what i can do next?

Edited by cmac24, 24 September 2006 - 03:15 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try removing the Sonic program, then re-install it. It may have become corrupted since you had Nero installed. Another thing to try is to check for software updates for the Sonic program you are using. Roxio posts software updates at their website. I recently downloaded a software update for my out of the box Roxio Easy Creator 8. I suspect Sonic may have software updates too.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'll check for updates when I get home, but I don't think i can uninstall the sonic. It came prepackaged with the PC that I bought and I don't think I'd be able to reintsall it.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
They didn't have updates for the version of sonic that I have (6). The earliest version they had updates for was 6.5. It also should be noted that I had similar problems burning with winamp. If it's not the software, how can I check to see if it's the burner?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There are lots of different things you could try, such as cleaning the optical lens, checking for a firmware update for the drive, trying a different brand of cd. If none of these work, you could try replacing the drive.