Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still cant download

• Please log in to reply

chac

chac

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi guys

After getting some help from Keith & Tune Up Utilities 2006 my computer is now running better & quicker than before

I am however still having problems dowloading anytime, my test is Quicktime, my computer goes throught the motions of downloading but the download never actually starts :blink:

Also whenever I paly clips or music on any of my viewers my system crash's after about 30mins

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens at Microsoft Update?

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Will run it no w

Cheers

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
The responce I get from Microsoft update is

High-priority updates
No high-priority updates for your computer are available. To check for optional updates, return to our home page and click Custom.

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Should also mention that I can download from Bearshare no probs

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling Quicktime? Do you, by chance, have Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop installed?

What kind of internet connection do you have (cable, dsl, dial up)? If your comp is regularly freezing after 30 minutes of "moderate load", that's a more serious issue than downloads. Do you know how to report your system temps?
Johanna
btw, we don't provide any help for P2P file sharing on G2G.

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi Johanna

I have managed to download & instal Tune Up & Ad-Aware, but when I started the download nothing actually happened after the initial request & me clicking OK on the download screen, after about an hour or so my computer did freeze up (when Watching an episode of Stargate on Realplayer) so I had to reboot, after rebooting TuneUp & Adware had both been downloaded but without me seeing it happen

I cannot save any pics from webpages either (I tried to save a pic today to attach to an email for work but after click save - nothing happens)

I dont have Adobe or Photoshop

I use a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

Not sure about System Temps - do you mean System Temperatures ??

By the above do you mean Bearshare ??

:whistling: :blink:

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling Quicktime? Do you, by chance, have Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop installed?

What kind of internet connection do you have (cable, dsl, dial up)? If your comp is regularly freezing after 30 minutes of "moderate load", that's a more serious issue than downloads. Do you know how to report your system temps?
Johanna

I have Unistalled Quicktime & Rebooted

Went on to Quicktime WebSite & tried to reinstal

I was asked where I wanted to save & what name under then clicked OK... But again nothing happened, after about 1 hour I restarted my computer & there was Quciktime Files on my Desktop ???? :whistling:

As I say I also tried to save a Pic from a website but this never saved & still has not shown on my desktop

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chac...

Are you always using the IE browser when you download or do you use others, as well?

I've never used bearshare (and never will)...does it use a unique download manager?

wannabe1

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi there Wannabe

I am currently using Firefox (I did manage to download a Video Yesterday on Marine Reefs) although I didn’t see the Download manager on screen, it did download the vid but I tried to save another vid along the same lines on a different website (Using Right Click & Save target as …) but after going through the motions it didn’t save the file (it is defiantly not been saved any where else on the PC ), Same goes for pics on any site I go to – goes through the motions but doesn’t save the file

I will check to see if Bearshare use a different Download Manager & can I ask why you wouldn’t use it (is my computer at risk using it – PM me if you cannot sya on the public board)

Thank you for replying

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bearshare is a file sharing (P2P) application. We cannot assist you with problems related to that as there are obvious legal issues relating to copyright laws. The reason I won't use it (asisde from the legal issues) is because you really don't know what "extras" have been added to the downloads...they will often load your machine up with malware. I'll be helping with the Windows issues only...I won't be helping with Bearshare.

That being said, open Firefox, click "Tools" on the toolbar, and choose "Options". In the window that appears, click on the "Downloads" icon at the top. In the Download Manager section, make sure the box next to "Show download manager when download begins" is selected. Also take a look to see where it downloads to...this can be changed to wherever you wish using the "Browse" button.

Let me know what you find...

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for the help wannabe & thanks for the heads uop regarding Bearshare

I am at work at the Mo , but I am certain the Download Manager is active & target file is the desktop

I will confirm when I get home

Thanks

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Just to confirm the Destination File is the 'Desktop' & the Download Manager 'View' Box is Ticked :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you try to download something, press and hold the Ctrl key when you start the download...does the download window appear then?

chac

chac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Nothing different happens when pressing CTRL - No download window

???