Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web Hosting Help

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hello fellow geeks:
I have designed a website for our organiziation at my high school. It's not a very big website, right now it's at 20 pages, but it will be expanding to at least 50 pages in a month. Along with the website there will be a forum. I would like this website to be hosted and have a URL such as www.ync.org www.ync.net www.ync.ca or www.ync.com. The problem is I have no clue as to how to host a website, which services to use and how to obtain and register a domain name. For the forum I was thinking of using ProBoard and buy a professionally designed skin and have the ads removed. My budget is around 50-80$ per month for the website.
If any1 can point me towards the right direction or offer me some help on how to get my website online and running that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You All in Advance

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well first you need a host. I run free hosting if you are interested... Go to [removed] for more information. Also, for a cheap domain, I suggest going to http://www.godaddy.com ... If you want to use proboards, then that's fine, but just know that you can use PHPBB, YABB, SMF, along with a few other free boards right from your website host. It's easy to setup.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
GoDaddy is good for domain registration as is 000Domains.

Webhosting is where you will have a GAZILLION options... And it is not something you should jump into lightly.

I would not opt for free hosting, even better that you have a budget for this, as free hosting is not very stable, hosts come and go, and a lot of times you will get pop-ups and other unwanted things added to your site.

WebhostingTalk is a good place to start for researching a web host.

Geeks to Go has a hosting solution as do others (including myself) at this site... investigate, research and you will find a good solution for your site.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Wow, thx a lot i never knew g2g had hosting services. I was also wondering if any1 has good recommendations of sites with gnereic webpage templates or skins for sale around 50 dollars. The current website me and my buddy designed is well...... kinda crappy since we are both noobs in webpage design. I don't really mind spending some money to get a good clean website template like the G2G webpage.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Try www.templatemonster.com ...

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
although i haven't used them, http://ipower.com/domain-names.html offers the cheapest .com domains i've seen (6.50/year). it offers several freebies, but the most important is probably free whois privacy. before purchasing from them i'd suggest somehow contacting them for more detailed information, and any questions you have. as the notch said, it's great to have a (monthly) budget for this.

Edited by TaNkZ101, 24 September 2006 - 02:47 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You can get some very cheep hosting at http://www.hoststock.com/ unlike most hosting companys they own there own servers (and rent the out to other hosting companies) which is what makes them cheeper. I have found the very help full.

They also don't have any artifical limets besides disk space and bandwidth. As many sub domains, mysql data base etc. as you like.

If you don't find a template, I could make you one for say 20-30$. I like writeing web sites but don't get to do much, have a look the my two in my sig.

Edited by Michael, 27 September 2006 - 10:50 PM.

in-flames

in-flames

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling:

Edited by ScHwErV, 19 April 2007 - 06:10 AM.

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
as does domainsite.com and really cheap.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
With 3 domains, you are looking at a reseller package (it will be cheaper, atleast for me it was) Right now I pay $20.00 a month for a reseller plan that has unlimited everything except bandwidth, and disk space.

For my hosting I use TCH, they started out small now they own quite of few data centers themselves. Very reliable used them for the past 4-5 yrs or so. That and you can get a hold of the CEO if needed when there are issues and he will do his best to fix them.

For example they have certian flags in their system when you order. I set up an account for my sister and the account was flagged for a verification. And they do them during the week mon-fri 10-4 CST. So I got in touch with the CEO and explained what was going on and since I was getting a new account with them he approved it instantly instead of waiting.

They will help you out as much as they can.

The hosting companies site is totalchoicehosting.com.

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I use PairNetworks.com for hosting. I've had no problems with them, and I have heard a lot of people vouch for them. I know several really large and popular tech blogs use PairNetworks for hosting services.

For domains, I register with Godaddy. They are the largest domain registrar and there's a reason for that. Then, I point the domain(s) to my nameservers from my web host.

I don't use Godaddy for hosting because the control panel is a pain to work with. They are also bad about putting you on a crowded server, which can slow your site down.