Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dvd drive only plays dvd's not cd's

• Please log in to reply

cryanbeep

cryanbeep

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't understand why my dvd drives plays dvd's fine and doesn't play cd's perfectly. When i put a dvd in the tray it goes straight to reading it, but when i put in a cd i have to keep ejecting until it eventually reads and it can take 20 minutes sometimes. I really need to resolve this problem. I did the whole hijackthis process and was referred here as it has nothing to do with malware.

also on device manager it says device is working properly

Edited by cryanbeep, 23 September 2006 - 11:19 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
malware is rarely to blame for optical drive problems -- and Device Manager is very limited in it's intelligence when a piece of hardware is not working as it should --- provided the device driver is loaded properly and the device is not electrically 'dead', and all the cables are properly connected, Windows will happily tell you "This device is working properly" even when it's not!

I do know that the wavelength of the laser required to read a CD is different to the wavelength required to read a DVD -- that's why a plain old CD-ROM drive (remember them) can't read a DVD. So it's just possible the laser is unable to adjust itself for reading a CD.

I'm not saying that definitely is the problem, only that it could be. They are no longer expensive items so unless it's still under warranty I would replace it after first borrowing one to confirm it is the drive that's faulty.
If the borrowed drive behaves just the same, then obviously don't buy a new one, get back to us to see if anyone else can help!

cryanbeep

cryanbeep

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the reply. I decided on buying a brand new dvd-rom + cd-rw external drive so that kind of solved the problem, but im gonna take my computer to my friends house later on and switch drives to see if its a computer defect.