Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Tray problems

• Please log in to reply

angelpoo

angelpoo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Aloha,

I am not sure if a malaware caused this problem but I am having problems with the System Tray icons. I used to have a couple of icons in the system tray but some of them are not showing. Then other random ones are showing such as Quicktime and AOL Hi-Q. The ones that used to show but not showing now are: Yahoo Messenger, TiVo Server, and volume control. Then sometimes, Windows Explorer crashes and then those icons appear while the Quicktime and AOL Hi-Q icons disappear from the system tray. WHat is happening to my computer? I even went back and did the whole preferences thing with Yahoo to show the icon but that didn't work.

I have Windows XP.

Angelpoo

Edited by angelpoo, 23 September 2006 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Angelpoo
1st thing to try is a virus scan
In my sig there is a link to an online scan.
Peterm

angelpoo

angelpoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Aloha Peterm,

Thank you! I did a virus scan and unchecked the UpN network options in control panel and everything returned to normal. Apparanetly, this problem had something to do with Explorer startup. It is pretty common with WIndows XP. Thanks!

Angelpoo