Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezes to blue screen whenever I boot up

• Please log in to reply

gmcube

gmcube

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
this has been going on for about a week.
when I boot up in normal mode, everything seems fine at first untill the desktop/taskbar items load completly, then it shuts down to the blue screen of death. (it of course it gives off a number, which I believe is different every time)
I can boot to both safe mode and diagnostic mode just fine, but not in normal mode (or selective startup) for any extented time.
a few days ago it used to be I could stay in normal mode if I dissabled mcafee. my dad uninstalled it once he realised this, and since then its back to where it was before, ie crashing minuts after start up. Ive re installed mcafee in hopes that maybe it would go back to how it was but no.

another thing worth mentioning. my windows firewall doesnt want to turn on. but its been like that for several months.

Edited by gmcube, 23 September 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you start to run through this then update the video card software as soon as it starts to run properly, then continue with the rest of it

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
When I type sfc /scannow I don't think I get to a progress bar. I see a screen that pops up for a a very brief second and goes away before I can tell what it is. does this mean I have the wrong disk? I'm using the service pack 2 disk. if I need the service pack 1 disk, I guess I 'll have to wait till I can borrow that from someone before we can continue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
the same thing happens as before.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Move to chkdsk then

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
okay, I thought it was understood I was doing this from safe mode. now I realise you meant from normal mode. when I did that in normal mode, the progress bar does come up, but its unable to complete the process before it freezes again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use another PC to get the tune up trial, save it to disc then load it on yours, run that part then try sfc /scannow

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I went ahead and ran through the chkdsk process just now. (restarted in normal, let it freeze, and Im back in safe again)

I dont think another pc will be needed, as I can still download stuff just fine in safe mode. I just downloaded it, but it wont actually run in safe mode, so Im about to see if I can get the program installed before it freezes in normal.

Edited by gmcube, 23 September 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It may install with safe mode with networking, though don't go online unless you check the firewall and anti virus is running

Advertisements

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
okay, tried in safe, and it wouldnt install (said the windows installer service could not be contacted. this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode or if the windows installer is not correctly installed)

when I try to install in normal mode, it freezes before it can finish.

Edited by gmcube, 23 September 2006 - 06:10 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try safe mode with networking?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another option is to click start then run, type msconfig and then press enter

Click start up, click disable all, click apply, click close, do not restart

Click services, remove the ticks for everything without Microsoft in the title, click apply, close, reboot

Try installing tune up

gmcube

gmcube

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Did you try safe mode with networking?

yes, I rarely use safe mode without it actually. otherwise I wouldnt be able to post here at all.

Ive tried a few times more to get it to install in normal mode, and sometimes I feel like I come so close, maybe seconds away from finishing.
anyway, I'll try your other suggestion.

Edited by gmcube, 23 September 2006 - 06:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Click services, remove the ticks for everything without Microsoft in the title

Or just tick the box to "Hide All Microsoft Sevices" and disable the rest.