Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC3200 memory on a PC2600 Motherbaord

• Please log in to reply

Texmansru47

Texmansru47

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just curious...

I have a new PC BIT Socket A motherboard I got to build a system for my daugther (5) and the memory I have is PC3200, but the specifications on the motherbaord are for PC2600. Will this be a problem? Or will it work?

Again, Just curious.

Thanks,

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The motherboard manual should tell you if it can run other-speed memory. Some can and some can't. There is another problem in that some memory will not drop down to a lower speed. You will know pretty quickly if either situation happens because most of the computers won't even boot. I did have one computer boot up and then start having all kinds of error messages when trying to navigate thru the system. I have intel 2.4 533 bus processor that will not boot with DDR-400 memory in it. DDR333 memory works fine. It is the motherboard that is doing this as moving the processor to another MB let DDR-400 memory work with it.

SRX660