Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser History/Automatic Find

• Please log in to reply

boondock22

boondock22

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having trouble erasing/clearing my browser history/automatic find option.

I am running Windows XP and Internet Explorer.

The place where you put the URL address for internet sites, if i type "www.g" for example it would show ALL sites visited that started with "g" and if i type "www.t" it would show all sites visited that start with "t" etc.

I was wondering how you erase that function. I have already gone to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>DELETE COOKIES and DELETE FILES (offline content as well) and CLEAR HISTORY. In addition, i had downloaded ATF Cleaner but that did not work either.

These two things that i have done have not produced desired results and very old sites still keep coming up when i type in "www.g" etc. I want to get rid of these because they display sites i used months ago that are just getting in the way of finging the sites that i use constantly.

WHAT CAN I DO/FILES CAN I DELETE IN ORDER TO GET RID OF THOSE OLD SITES???

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi boondock22...

Try the information on This Site. To prevent the dropdown menu when you type an address, be sure to disable Autocomplete as they suggest.

wannabe1

boondock22

boondock22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks wannabe for responding so quick.

i went to that site and tried the things suggested but they wouldnt work.

Autocomplete didnt do anything. i also tried the "empty history when browser is closed" but no luck.

i once again tried the "delete cookies, files, clear history" under tools, internet options. like before, it deleted some of the history in the browser bar but there are still those sites that are STILL there.

is there any sort of Master Reset or Master Clear option?

Please help! Thanks!!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.ccleaner.com/

this will clean-up histroy address bar an run box not to mention your disk

if its your first time using it please read the home of ccleaner and understand it

it does a very thorough job

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this...

Right click on the Start button and choose "Properties". Choose "Classic View" and then click the "Customize" button. Click the "Clear" button.

Clear the history and temporary internet files again, and restart the browser.

Edited by wannabe1, 23 September 2006 - 08:23 PM.

boondock22

boondock22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey wannabe, i tried the right click on start and clearing through the classic style but that didnt work either.

rushin1nd, could you explain a little more what ccleaner will do. i read the home and i dont think i know EVERYTHING it is talking about (sorry, im not computer illiterate, just dont know the advanced stuff) like i understand it will clear most of the internet history stuff but i dont know what registry cleaner and third party applications are.

what EXACTLY will running CCleaner erase? anything very important that i should have on backup? or is it completely safe to run anytime without fear of losing valuable information??

Please help!? thanks for all your help guys!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it will clean all of your history and run ....

temporary internet files

cookies

recently typed urls

cookie index

recycle bin

one good thing is before you run the program if you want to save anything just uncheck the box and you wont delete that particular area

i usuably keep history but we all have our own preferences

the only thing i can warn about though is even although its safe dont bother with the issues your messing with registry

if you dont create a back up

and with tools and options you uninstall programs from your add n remove

but the cleaner is great your gonna like it if you wanna cover your tracks

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 September 2006 - 10:17 PM.

boondock22

boondock22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ooo, i think i might use it.

but rushin1nd, what did you mean when you said:

"the only thing i can warn about though is even although its safe dont bother with the issues your messing with registry

if you dont create a back up

and with tools and options you uninstall programs from your add n remove"

did you mean NOT TO TOUCH registry if i dont create a backup? a backup of what? what if i DO create a backup?

And you meant that i can uninstall programs from add n remove from control panel, is that what you are talking about??

Please Help! Thanks so much for your help!

boondock22

boondock22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
rushin1nd, could you provide a little more info on my last post. thank you so much for help. it is greatly appreciated! :whistling:

boondock22

boondock22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
CAN SOMEONE ELSE HELP ME!!?

I ran CCleaner and those old URLs still come up!!

Does anyone else know of any other programs or ways to get rid of those old URL addresses that keep appearing in the URL bar??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Boondock22