Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade causes Laptop Problems

• Please log in to reply

GeordieInExile

GeordieInExile

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, first post here, so I hope you can help me out.

I purchased an old laptop, its an HP zt1180. I know it's old and I'm saving up for a new machine, but its my workhorse and does what I want it to for most of the time.

I decided to upgrade the memory from 256MB and bought a 512MB memory stick. This particular laptop is upgradable to a maximum of just over 1GB. Its the right kind of memory (I ordered from 4 All Memory by using their memory selector tool) and seems to fit in the slot fine.

So, I put the memory in the slot and go to boot up the machine - the computer powers on, but the screen does not run through the boot process and remains unbooted (even though I know its powered on).

The laptop has two memory slots, the 1st one has the 256 system memory installed, and the second one is the one I'm trying to put the 512MB stick in.

:whistling:

Advertisements

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Have you took out the original ram and tried the 512 MB ram installed alone in the first slot ?

What Operating system are you using?

Edited by street1, 24 September 2006 - 12:04 AM.

GeordieInExile

GeordieInExile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, for some reason the memory stick doesn't want to work on slot two. Slot one now has the 512MB stick.