Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply

Pat2

Pat2

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

1.Uninstalling is fairly straight forward.

Easiest way is to go to diskmanagement in xp, right click the VISTA partition, and delete it.

Then you can remove the vista bootsector by loading your xp recovery console with an xp cd and typing fixboot c:
or
from your root directory
c:\boot\fixntfs /xp
(vista installs this directory when creating a dualboot system)

I'm also trying to uninstall Vista but when i attept to delete vista's partition(i guess for me its C:/Windows), it says "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make these changes to this folder"

I think im doing something wrong :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a dual boot XP/Vista? What Vista build is it? Is it RC-1?

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
its Windows Vista Build 5728

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is Vista on it's own partition? I would think that XP would be on the C: partition.

Do you have your XP installation cd so we can use Recovery Console?

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
im not sure about the partition but my prevouis XP edition is all in a folder called "C:/Windows.old" and im guessing Vista is the folder "C:/Windows"

My pc didn't come with a recovery disc but a friend of mine gave me a cd-r of Microsoft Window Home(not sure if that helps). When i wanted to use recovery before the Vista upgrade, i would hit F8 as the pc started up but now i don't see the F8 option at start-up. I remember it used to say "Hit F8 to start Recovery in 2 sec"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open "My Computer" and double click on Local Disk C:. List the folders you see...not the files, just the folders.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Windows
Old.Windows
Users
TEMP
Program Files

Hidden:
ProgramData
MSOCache

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not quite the typical installation....

We need to see if Recovery Console is available on your installation cd. Boot to the XP cd and watch for the a screen which offers the option to "Repair the selected operating system using Recovery Console"...should be associated with pressing the R key. Once you know you have the option availabel, cancel out of the process (F3...I think) and post back with the results.

We will defintely need Recovery Console on this one. :whistling:

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

We need to see if Recovery Console is available on your installation cd. Boot to the XP cd
We will defintely need Recovery Console on this one. :whistling:

but my pc never came with a installation cd, i thought F8 at start-up brought up Recovery Console but i can't get that to happen

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

but a friend of mine gave me a cd-r of Microsoft Window Home

This is the cd I was referring to. The G2G Terms of Service would prevent me from helping you to install an illegal copy of Windows, but I see no problem with using Recovery Console from this disk (if it's on the cd) to get your original installation running again.

Pressing F8 during boot is usually used to access Safe Mode rather than Recovery Console.

To use Recovery Console, you'll need to boot to the cd and choose that option when it's presented. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted. (Press any key to boot from cd). When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console...in this case, choose the Windows XP installation. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If you have not set the administrator password, leave it blank and just press "ENTER".

Let me know if you are able to access Recovery Console.

Advertisements

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
when i boot the cd, this window pops-up. not sure if its right. If i hit setup, it won't allow me to do so.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope that's not the one we're after.

You'll need to put the cd in the drive and reboot. You should get a black screen with the text "Press any key to boot from cd" at the top...press the spacebar.

Then you should see the following screen...it will probably be the Home version rather than Professional.
BB_small.gif
DO NOT press Enter as suggested in this image...Press R
You should then get a screen containing the License Agreement...Press F8

On the next screen, what do you see?

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

You'll need to put the cd in the drive and reboot. You should get a black screen with the text "Press any key to boot from cd" at the top...press the spacebar.

when i start my pc with the cd in there, it starts normally with no changes to it.
Im not sure if this would help but theres a option when my pc starts up that says "F10 BOOT MENU", would i have to do something with that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...press F10 and set your cd drive to the first boot device.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I'll try that now

im not sure if this helps but,
i remember when i first bought my pc, it made me create 3 recovery disc on cd-r.

I found the 3 disks and the folders in the first disk are:
i386
i386Dist
MiniNT
PreLOAD
updgoi

Can this help?