Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help on pop-up F:\Office10\Startup\~$FMaker.dot

• Please log in to reply

computernut

computernut

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I keep getting a pop-up that reads F:\Office10\Startup\~$FMaker.dot. I don't quite know what it means and how to correct it. Can anyone assist me? I am not a wiz at this. Thanks.

Edited by computernut, 24 September 2006 - 08:38 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello computernut...

It's been my experience that this is caused by a corrupt Office Document Template trying to load either when you start Windows, when you start MS Office, or when a document requests a virus scan and you have Norton installed.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Startup. If ~$FMaker.dot is present in the Startup folder, right click on it and choose "Delete".

Let me know what you find...

wannabe1

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this does not appear in the Startup menu. I was advised to do an Adobe update, which I did. In my Startup menu I do have Acrobat Assistant and Microsoft Office. I believe they are connected in some way with the problem. This popup message does appear every time I close Outlook. Not sure if I should uninstall Office and re-install it.
Do you have any other suggestions? I have been to Microsoft help site, but couldn't find the solution there either.
Another messages I have been getting are:
(when logging into Outlook) - Microsoft WordMail could not be started. Close any open dialog boxes in Word and try again.
I also get another popup sometimes which is in a Microsoft Visual Basic Popup - "Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec"
The first problem I listed also has the prefix - "The add-in template is not valid."
Thanks for any other assistance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It may be in the Office\Startup folder.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup. Do you see ~$FMaker.dot in that folder?

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello again. Thanks for the help. I found it in F:\Office10\Startup and deleted it. There was also the PDFMaker one there so I left that one.
I now have just the Microfost visual basic popup message "Compile error in hidden modele: AutoExec" when I close Outlook.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Close Outlook.

Go back to the Office\Startup folder and right click on Pdfmaker.dot and choose "Cut"...right click on the "My Documents" folder and choose "Paste". If the file Pdfmaker.xla is present, move it the same way.

Open and then close Outlook...do you still get the error?

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for the reply. The folder is only PDFMaker and not PDFMaker.dot. It is a Microsoft Word template. I didn't do what you suggested incase it was not correct.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you get this error when you close Word or Excel?

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
NO, I don't get it when I open or close Word, Excel, Access or Powerpoint.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version of Adobe are you running?

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have the following
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Acrobat Reader 5.1
Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
Adobe PageMaker 7

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you updated your Adobe Acrobat, was this the page you got the update? Adobe Update

computernut

computernut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, that looks the same. I clicked on the link for Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5. update for windows