Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor problems?

• Please log in to reply

Alliewalker

Alliewalker

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

My processor (Compaq Presario AMD Athlon ) is making strange sounds. It sounds like it is struggling to operate. I have Windows XP. Do I need to back up my system and files before something happens? How do I do that? Please help. Thank you. I was just helped by you for some Malware problems and everything has been running great. Thanks once again.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Alliewalker...

Can you describe the sounds or do they sound like any of THESE?

wannabe1

Alliewalker

Alliewalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Wannabe1,

Hi, It doesn't sound anything like any of those sounds. It goes MMMMmmmMMMMmmmm. It sounds like it is struggling to remain constant. I wish that I could explain it better. Like a car engine that keeps revving(sp) up and down. Does that help. Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this sound coming from inside the machine or might it be coming from an optical (cd) drive?

Alliewalker

Alliewalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

It does sound like it is coming from inside the machine. Is that a problem? Do I need to have it looked at? Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fans perhaps? It might be time for a good cleaning. Having a lot of dust bunnies clogging things up can cause the fans to labor and make a sound such as you describe. Fans can "cycle" like that when they are going bad, as well.

That would be a good starting point on this one.