Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

accidentally deleted .sys file, now comp wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there!! I made a really stupid mistake, and now am stuck without my computer! (I'm on my gf's machine at the moment) I'm sure you can help though, since you guys are so awesome!

I was running a little low on room on my C:\ drive, so I decided to clean up some of the junk that had collected on there over the years. I first ran Cleanup!, then started deleting files and folders manually, as well as uninstalling old programs I no longer need. I think I must have deleted a .sys file on accident, because when I rebooted, Windows would no longer boot up. It loads to the POST screen, then reboots and cycles the process endlessly. I've tried to run in Safe mode, and I tried most every other option in the list, to no avail. I don't get any error messages, it just will not load past the POST screen.

Is there anything I can do, or will I have to reformat my HD?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo! :whistling:

I would try an XP Repair installation. It will reinstall XP's system files and folders while keeping all your data safe. There is a link in my signature (first line below my post) with instructions. You will have to reinstall all Windows Updates, but your data is safe.

Good luck! :blink:

Edited by Pi rules, 24 September 2006 - 02:18 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
do you get any error messages ?

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I ran the repair like you advised, and am back in working order with nothing lost :whistling:
Quick and easy fix! Thanks bunches!!

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
No problem! :whistling:

Please remember to go to Windows Update and get all the updates and patches.