Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to know....

• Please log in to reply

jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I am running Windows XP on my laptop on a wireless home network through my roomates desktop. I was wondering if it is possible to see a folder if i mark it private or if i don't mark it for sharing. I was looking through My Network Places and in the Shared Pics folder on his computer there was a Documents folder. I opened it and it was the exact contents of the My Documents on my machine. I moved some things out of my folder and these changes were reflected in his folder too. Is he spying or is this normal. I guess he is the administrator since he set up his computer first because i cannot delete the folder from his machine.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
The only things that should be visable are the default shares (printers, etc...) However, if his PC is acting as the WAP that could be different. I would lock that folder (change the share permissions under properties) if I were you. Also, make sure that you have teh target of your My Documents folder set to point to your PC. Check Properties of My Documents and then hit the default button. Hope that helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

....  I opened it and it was the exact contents of the My Documents on my machine.  I moved some things out of my folder and these changes were reflected in his folder too....

View Post

Instantly?

I think you are looking at your own folder in Network Neighborhood

Go to VIEW > Details

What is under comments for this folder?

jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
GerryF,

Under details it is just listed as Shortcut.

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
if you click on Properties of your My Documents on your desktop, what is the Target?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
View > TILES

Does the folder have a little three pipe graphic on the bottom? or is it just a regular folder?

jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Gerry F,

It is a folder with paper coming out and a little arrow in the lower left corner. I think i see where you are going. It is the same icon as the My documents in my start panel. Am I just going in a circle and freaking out?

Gophergutz,

the target is my docs on my computer, but does that necessarily mean he can't just see it when i'm connected?

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Depending on the security you have set up, he may be able to see. It's hard to say for sure without knowing your network. I just wanted to be sure we weren't overlooking the obvious. Gerryf is on the right track I think.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Depending on the security you have set up, he may be able to see. It's hard to say for sure without knowing your network. I just wanted to be sure we weren't overlooking the obvious. Gerryf is on the right track I think.

View Post

..even a blind squirrel finds and acorn every once in a while :tazz: