Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok dont laugh at my specs but i have a 1.70ghz pc w/512 MB Ram i think :help: now im looking at buying more ram but it says

Memory Size 1GB
Type of Memory PC3200 DDR<--Can someone explain that
Speed 400MHz<--Does this mean if i take out my old memory sticks my pc ill only be at 800mhz because im buying 2 :blink: or will it be +800mhz im confused..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have another question regarding my question about ram if i lag on games will that help any? sometimes i get slowed down such as in guildwars and many other games.. also my gfx card is 128mb Geforce somthing :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
3200 - how much data the memory can theoretically move data about per second to and from places. 3.2Gb a second, all other things being equal.

Speed 400Mhz - how fast the memory actually is. The actual speed of the memory is 200Mhz, but DDR stands for Double Data Rate. 200 doubled = 400, hence the figure.

When you see the term DDR400 or PC3200, its the same thing. This is the fastest memory available for this type of memory - even faster stuff is available but it involves changing the bits inside the computer.

Your graphics slowdown are probably being caused not by memory but because the card only has 128Mb on it. Ideally you need 256Mb so it's got more room to play with to create more detail on screen.