Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Access w/Home XP and Dynamic IP?

• Please log in to reply

dianab

dianab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been searching all over the web for a way to access my desktop computer from my laptop when I'm on the road. Both machines have XP Home. My desktop is on SBC Yahoo DSL with a dynamic IP with a linksys G router for a firewall.

Is there anything I can do make this work? I'm so leery of who to trust, I figured I ought to come in here and ask because you guys are never wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Diana

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
RealVNC is free and works well.

It uses the local ip address, so it doesn't matter if your ISP assigns you a dynamic ip address.

It can also be run as a service, so you don't need to get anyone to launch it on the remote machine.

dianab

dianab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks and RealVNC is fine if I'm on the same ISP but I'm trying to find a way to connect when I'm in one city with the laptop and the desktop is in another. The dynamic IP address I have is local - it won't work when I'm elsewhere.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.dyndns.co...ces/dns/dyndns/

Set this up to autostart on the desktop, get yourself a host name from them, then it doesn't matter what IP address your internet provider gives you, the host name will always point at it.