Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Slow to load at start up

• Please log in to reply

mpasta2000

mpasta2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
My Windows XP/ HP Pavilion is slow from start-up to user sign-in page... takes @ 5 minutes for that page to load. I recently had the power supply replaced so I know there is enough juice there. Once on Sign in page the wait time for the programs to load is suprisingly minimal. I have done the usual:
Defrag. , disk clean-up, speed disk, Noton System Works, Disk Doctor, Registry Mechanic 3.0dump recycle, Noton Antivirus: no spywear & no viruses found. Registry Mechanic 3.0. Any advise on what is taking so long would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
M

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got anything which scans on boot up

mpasta2000

mpasta2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Keith! Is there anyway of obtaining a list of programs that load at start up?
I went to Microsoft's website to do more investigating, and I was lead to information regarting Boot timing. I didn't have the time to look into it further.
I had forgotten to mention that the problem began after I downloaded the Norton Internet Security from Symantic.
I was also wondering if this has anything to do with it:
Contol Panel-System Properties-Advanced- Start-up recovery-now, look at the 'write debugging information'. My computer is set for Small Memory Dump. Should the setting be set for Complete Memory Dump and will that help?
Thanks! Michelle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get a trial of TuneUp 2004, which is the My Webpage link but I clicked twice so it went straight to the page. Anyway it has, start up manager and you just remove a tick from a programme if you do not want it to load.

My Webpage

Another one is X-Cleaner, click expert then double click anything in the list to stop it starting.

Another way is to click run then type msconfig then press enter then click the start up tab and remove any of the ticks from there.

X-Cleaner

Two things which must be left are the firewall and the anti-virus, if Norton is set to scan at boot then it will take ages, though running X-cleaner just before you shutdown will clear things like temp internet files to reduce the number of files for Norton to check when you start up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You might like to look at this page, press directory and you get an explanation of any process you have running

Process Library