Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Word 2003 SaveAs not releasing old file

• Please log in to reply

kkmcg

kkmcg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have a problem with Word 2003. I am writing code that saves the current document using the saveAs command, then deletes the old version. For some reason in Word 2003 when the SaveAs command is used it does not release the hooks into the old version of the file.

Even if I try to do it manually (File | Save As...) when I go and look at the file Word still has the original locked and will not allow me to delete it until I close the new version of the word document.

Any ideas?

KM

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I think you will find untill word is closed it keeps both files opened
and you can't delete an open file
Peterm

kkmcg

kkmcg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That seems to be the case in 2003, but in previous version this was not the case. Is this a new Microsoft 'Feature' for 2003? Is there a work around?

Thanks,

KM

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Not that I know of, Microsoft does have a discussion group on word

http://www.microsoft...exp=&sloc=en-us
This is just one
Cheers
peterm