Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with USB Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply

amberc

amberc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been having problems with my Flash drive. It isn't being recognized by my computer as well as a few others I've tested it on (XP, 2000, and Windows 98). It has worked fine up until now. The light comes on when I plug it in, but it won't shop up in device manager. If there is something wrong with it, is there any way to salvage the data from it?
Thanks,
Amber

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may need to buy a file recovery application. Most of them are free to try but they merely show you what files (if any) are recoverable. You have to buy the product to actually recover them. I imagine if you googled "File Recovery" (with quotes) you will get dozens of hits. One such utility is at: http://www.file-recovery.net/soft.htm

If you do manage to recover the data (though I have my doubts if Windows is not even detecting the drive) I would buy a new flash drive and destroy that one. (and in future keep a copy of the flash drive's contents on some other media).

Edited by pip22, 25 September 2006 - 12:02 PM.