Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on the right grahics card

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys
im after a bit of advice on what is the best grahics cards for money and performance

unfortunatly im stuck with an AGP slot at the moment so im looking for my best option
im not rich (actually far from it lol) so im looking at these two cards...

underlined the better of the two

the XFX 6800XT which has a core clock of 350Mhz a GDDR3 clock of 1000Mhz (256-bit) and 8-pixel pipe lines
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150157

or the

XFX 7600GS which has a core clock of 400Mhz a GDDR2 clock of 533Mhz (128-bit) and 12-pixel pipe lineshttp://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150190
i may be getting this brand or a different one it all depends ont he supplier down here in oz lol

i think i am in love with the XFX 6800XT due to the massive memory bandwidth and the cheap price plus it has 256-bit compared to the 128 bit of the 7600GS

but the downside to the 6800XT is that it only has 8 pixel pipelines compared to the 12 of the 7600GS

so whats better???? :whistling: what do i do???

the 7600GS seriously lacks in the memory bandwidth and speed but makes it up with 4 more pixel pipelines

what i was planning to do would be to get the 6800XT and overclock both the memory and teh core do you think it would compeate with the 7600GS???

or is more pixel pipelines more benificial than a higher memory bandwidth and 256 bit interface?

please give me some insight... i need help

i wont be buying the card now but rather in about 2 months so prices may go down but i doubt it

thank you for your time..

troppo

Edited by troppo, 25 September 2006 - 04:13 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres something to read about that may sway you.

http://www.beyond3d....ews/nvidia/g73/

SRX660

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Well, if your thinking about overclocking the 6800, forget it. I fought with overclocking that thing forever and never got anywhere without crashing. I believe some more reviews on newegg can confirm this.

The 7600GS is an overall good value from what I've heard, but, I still would go with the 6800 due to the newer GDDR3 memory, it should do you good.

Thanks,
Brandon

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well see i tend to agree with BMWboy

but i have read on a few places that you are able to unlock the card's pipelines i have read one page where they said they were able to get it up to 16 pipelines but with artifacts they also said they could get it to 12 pipelines stable that provided that you have the N40 core

the reason i like the look of the 6800XT is because of the GDDR3 and the 256-bit interface but teh core speed is a little slow but with a bit of minor tweaking im sure we could get it a bit higher with maybe some better cooling but i will see if and whe i get it

so to put it in simple terms whats better

more pipelines slower memeory bandwidth???
or
less pipelines larger memory bandwidth and better interface???

im so confussed i just dont no which one to get

ive tried to look up product reveiws but the 6800XT hasent been reveiwed very much (well nto the XFX one anyway) they have the galaxy 6800XT but its memeory bandwidth is only 700MHz and 128-bit so its sort of hard to judge on what they say

thanks for the help

troppo

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
help anyone?

what is better? more memory bandwidth and 256 bit interface or more pixel pipelines?

im still so confused

thanks troppo

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I'm not sure if the prices are the same in OZ, but usually you can find an ATI X800GTO for around the same price as those cards which has the benefits of 12 pixel pipelines, 400 core clock/980 memory clock, GDDR3 memory, and a 256 bit interface.

If you decide to go with one of the two you listed, then go with the 6800XT. You can google search and find instructions on how to open up the additional pipelines on the card. I believe Rivatuner will work.

http://www.hardforum...?t=841145&pp=40

Edited by kidnova, 28 September 2006 - 03:09 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks kidnova!!!!

i found a X800XL 256Mb 256-bit GDDR3 @ 980Mhz and 400 clock and it has 16 pixel pipelines compared to the 8 of the 6800XT for exactly the same price!!!

and its not like 20Mhz is going to change a thing thsi card is way better

is the X800XL better than the X800GTO?

cause i can get the X800GTO for $196 and i can get the X800XL for $249 which is the same price as the 6800XT ($247) and twice the amount of pipelines well this card looks heaps and heaps better than the X6800XT :blink:

well i think that would be heaps better as in value for money and performance what do you guys think?

once again thanks kidnova!! :whistling:

troppo

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
In the reviews I've read, the X800 XL matches or beats the 6800 GT (which is better than the 6800 XT) in many benchmarks, but of course it varies from game to game. If you can get it for around the same price, then I would definitely go with the ATI card.

Here's a clip from one of the reviews, but I would take some time and google a few more if I were you:

"The X800 XL AGP delivers excellent performance for these consumers. Its 16 pixel pipeline architecture and 400MHz clock speed deliver fill rates superior to GeForce 6800 GT, and is supplanted by a robust memory subsystem. In our performance results, the two cards delivered very competitive performance with one another, with both cards winning their fair share of benchmarks. Therefore, for many consumers we have a feeling that the final decision is going to come down to price and availability. It’s in this regard that ATI and their board partners need to catch up, as street prices on the GeForce 6800 GT are falling rapidly."