Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Linux os

• Please log in to reply

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello
i am new to linux i want to install it but don't which is best for me (like ubunto,mandriva etc)
i have p4 dual core

Advertisements

steinjared

steinjared

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I would say Ubuntu, it is very easy to install and run if you are new to Linux.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm partial to SimplyMepis. I like the KDE interface and the latest with the Ubuntu core is excellent. very stable and the easiest I've installed. Set up Grub for duo-boot and worked right out of the box. One thing though is to have your partions ready to install. It took me about fifteen minutes to be up and running.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
give SuSE a try.........i found it the best linux OS

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
But when i installed ubuntu it did not show desktop,but show like DOS prompt.
also i wnat to know that is linux os can play video movies in mp3 format or other codec format?
and where can i find drivers of my PC

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
What do you mean by drivers of your pc?

~Matt :-)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It sounds as though Xserver is not starting. I'm not familiar with the X setup in Ubuntu but you can try to log into terminal(that's the DOS looking interface) and try the command "startx". This will usually start the GUI or give errors that can help you to diagnose the problem with the Xserver.

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Don't you have to type something in to get it to start at the dos prompt? Well thats what you have to do with Knoppix but I'm not sure on what to type in.

~Matt :-)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi matty3,

Once shell terminal opens it will usually say login: then pasword: This is the user account you set up when you installed the system. Then you should have something like "user@1[~]$" with the cursor flashing. Type in a command that is in the root path like "startx", "cfdisk"or "find /app name". Command line can be a very powerful if you take the time to learn the basics (I'm still learning) and spend sometime in terminal to move around and see what you can make happen.

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
You probly installed the Ubuntu server version by mistake. Did you install Dapper or Breezy? Try over again. Install Dapper. Just follow the prompts with a known-good CD - "Start or run Ubuntu" - then when it loads the desktop click on Install and follow the prompts.
If you can get a good install and have broadband, install Automatix (not hard but a bit confusing for a total newb). Automatix installs several programs that give you expanded mp3, dvd, etc. capabilities.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As an aside for Ubuntu the beta of edgy eft the next version was just released and the release is due for about this time next month so worth considering that there is going to be another supposedly much better release coming im getting the beta at the moment to try and ill get back if its buggy as [bleep] or tryable but edgy is pretty decent but be warned it doesnt play well with wireless internet and you really need the internet for linux.

There is a couple of really excellent ubuntu wikis that ive found very useful and its pretty popular so most questions have been asked before so its easy to find answers.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Ubuntu, Fedora, or SuSe will all run and look great try each one for a month and see which you like best... all are super easy to install and duel boot.

Edited by Josiah, 30 September 2006 - 07:29 AM.

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok
i want to ask one more question how can install ubuntu with already existing windows xp?
i have NTFS Patition on my windows xp

Edited by muhammad jamil, 01 October 2006 - 12:45 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just resize the partition youll need a minimum of about 5Gb of space and just boot to the live CD and use the manual edit option instead of reformat during the installer which will let you use gparted or qtparted to partition yourself a swap(twice your memory size) and a root partition in the free space you made. I couldnt get dapper to detect windows so i had to manually edit the grub configuration file (but thats not hard at all) to get it but that was a quirk of how im partitioned as my data is also a primary but with no OS and it being largest it wasnt smart enough to find the other. But edgy got it fine ive been using the edgy beta and its been running fine and there are a few really good new things in it and boot times much faster.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
when you install ubuntu just use costum partition table and resize your current xp partition, then create a 1-3gb swap then a 5gb or so root "/" and use they rest for a "home" swap must be in linux swap and the rest can be in ext3 or what ever, ubuntu will automatically detect the xp part and do a dual boot

if you google it their are lots of instructions for installing ubuntu with a pc

Edited by Josiah, 01 October 2006 - 06:17 AM.