Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router ? which to get?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, I need to set up in an in home network to share the internet. I have a cable modem. I only need to share between 2 systems. So I'm now looking for a router to use. But I have found so many and don't know what would be the best for this. Both system are running windows xp one home and one pro. I don't know what other info you people will need to help me. Please let me know if there is anything else you will need to know and I'll post it.

Could someone point me in the right direction? As far as what router I should have.

Also is the router and cables going to be the only thing I need? Other then the modem.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You couldn't go far wrong with a Belkin Wireless G Home Networking kit (802.11g) make sure it's the cable version and not ADSL. Essentially it's a Wireless Router which you plug into your existing cable modem (all cables supplied), then plug the router into your PC -- run the included software and your good to go. You also need to buy either a wireless 802.11 cardbus card for a laptop, or a wireless PCI card if the second computer is not a laptop. I would stick with Belkin for that too if poss. Run the software for that and it should connect to the router.

With wireless you also need to set up the router to stop others near your house from using your wireless connection -- this will be explained in the router instructions.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I will have to get the stuff from Dell. Could you tell me which one of These you are talking about?
Thanks for helping.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to get anything from Dell, there are many brands of router and wireless card available, they all do the same job.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Right I know that... I have a credit line with dell. I don't have the cash right now..

Pip22

Are These the ones you were talking about?

If you have the time could you look at the link and sugest one. I think I know which to get But I would like another opinion.

Also you said I would need a PCI card for the 2nd computer. Do I need 2 ? One for both or can I connect the first wired and the 2nd wireless? Is This the right PCI card?

Thank you for your time. I just want to get something that is going to do a good job.

Edited by duley3, 25 September 2006 - 04:33 PM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Right I know that... I have a credit line with dell. I don't have the cash right now..

Pip22

Are These the ones you were talking about?

If you have the time could you look at the link and sugest one. I think I know which to get But I would like another opinion.

Also you said I would need a PCI card for the 2nd computer. Do I need 2 ? One for both or can I connect the first wired and the 2nd wireless? Is This the right PCI card?

Thank you for your time. I just want to get something that is going to do a good job.

Anyone?
Please, I would like to get the ball rolling on this as soon as I could. Like I said I just want a good route that will do the job + do it safe. I have never had to do this before so I don't know what I really need.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I have this Linksys, it's a very nice router in my opinion.

--bmwboy