Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Xp Update crashes during shut down

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
So when I shut down my PC it offers to update before it will shut down. So I accept and then before 1 of 7 gets updated, I get red circle with white cross error saying that svhost crashed and then I have to turn the pc manually as everything stops working. What should I do if my system restore to the previous date is not working. :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are they Microsoft updates

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Yes they are. What happens, is I click Start->Shut down, and then it says on the Shut Down button, that the Windows will update before the system turns off. Below there is also link available to shut down without an update. When I click shut down with update, it gets to the point where it starts updating (the harddrive is blinking alot) and then the crash message appears, and then the harddrive is not doing anything, and I waited for an hour at one point, and nothing happened.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, security centre, at the bottom, click automatic updates, put the dot in off, click apply, click change the way security centre alerts me, remove the tick for automatic updates, click OK

Try shutting the PC down

Run Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us