Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POWERING DX10 CARDS

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Rumor has it that the power consumption of the new DX10 cards will run aobut 280Watts...that leaves me with 270 watts to power the rest of my system . . . .

AMD 3800X2 OC'd
4 GB DDR400
Nforce4 Ultra
2x DVD burners
250 GB SATAI
2x 80GB SATAII+RAID

Will I be okay powering a single DX10 card? I doubt my system needs more than 270Watts (- DX10 card)
How do I check how much power my system is using? But do you think I need more power?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
280w just for a graphics card is an obscene amount of power which I reckon is a misquoted figure. Even the high-end Pentium 4 processors only use up to about 120w if that.

Your 550w will be more than enough I would have thought.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
You are apparently not up to date with the news sir.... DX10 cards will consume up to 300Watts..... I will be buying a lower upper range DX10 card so im looking at 200+ Watts just to power my GPU

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2770

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

130W up to 300W per card. ATI and NVIDIA won't confirm or deny our findings and we are receiving conflicting information as to the exact specifications of these new GPUs

bascially they are fishing they know jack they are just saying that to get readers attention 300W probably being dual gpu cards or quad gpu cards lots of possibilities how much power do you think a 7950 draws its alot its succesor i daresay will use just as much.

We all keep up with the news we have just been around long enough to know what is feasible what is fact and what is fiction.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Even if a card does use 300w on its own (a figure which I believe is still ridiculously high and unproven), it still doesn't require the OP to up his or her power supply, as I reckon the posted specs, even with a 300w card, will not use any more than, 450w at the most, if that.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
so will 250 Watts be adequate for teh rest of my system?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would imagine it would do fine assuming you have a decent PSU.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Bah, just get one of those 1000 watt power supplies and watch all the lights in your town dim when you turn your computer on! :whistling:

Fenor

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol how long till be breakers begin to pop when we hit the switch to turn our PC's on?!
James