Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows keeps restarting after removing Vista

• Please log in to reply

blaCky7

blaCky7

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
My window keeps on restarting after i uninstalled Vista. I guessed some files might have been missing during the process. I boot into the safe mode and tried the option of upgrading the XP which might fix the missing files but it says that some software wasnt installed on my system.

"Existing software was not fully installed. To fix this problem, click Details."

And i click Details.

Microsoft Windows XP has detected software that is not completely installed on your computer. Windows XP Setup cannot continue until you finish installing this software.

To finish the installation process for this software

1. Quit Windows XP Setup.
2. Log off of your computer, and then log back on again.
3. After you log on, a program will start immediately; allow it to complete.
4. Restart Windows XP Setup.

In spite of that, i still couldnt get it right. So any thought which might possibly fix this problem? Desperate in needing help now:(

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Do all the installed programmes run

blaCky7

blaCky7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Is it alright that i do them in the safe mode? By the way, thanks for your reply but my fren helped me to fix my pc and i don know how he did it. Just for curiosity to see what it does, i tried what u said just now, and it prompt me to insert the XP installation CD. So, say if my pc is still not fix yet, is it just running them and my pc will be okay because i nd to know in case i hav similar problem again in the future. But anyway thanks again for ur reply. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the PC runs well now, leave it as it is

What sfc /scannow does is check the system files and replace any it needs to

zerubaba

zerubaba

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you deleted the entire vista parition and it still restarts i would reset the cmos by using the jumper pins, or remove the cmos battery. Then i'd pop in your windows OS cd and reinstall windows.