Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error 1606.Could not access network location A\Xlstart

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

I'm in the IT department at work. We are trying to install a copy of Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0 on a Windows 2000 box with Office 2000 installed. The error we get is: "Error 1606.Could not access network location A\Xlstart." We were unable to find any information at the Adobe Website. Next Step?...Call them and ask for help. That didn't go over to well. The first number they had listed, 206-675-6304, led me to another number: 800-642-3623. We made it through all the computerized prompts and were put on hold. Forty five minutes later, we were disconnected. Another look at their support site reveiled a second number exclusive to installatioin problems. That number, 206-675-6500, rings once and disconnects. Our only option was to Google the error. What we found is that the problem isn't with Adobe at all, it's with Windows. We found a slew of websites detailing registry fixes for the 1606 Error message. This error prevents installation of several programs according to our research. We tried fix after fix after fix and still have been unable to install Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0.

Do any of you know the true "Error 1606" fix?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi magusbuckley,

When an install fails because of unavailable network connection it's often because windows needs to locate files from it's installation source i.e. the Windows CD or in a network location if it was installed remotely.

How was the version of windows installed?
The Adobe package, are you installing that from the disk too?

Also have you checked this KB article http://support.micro....com/kb/886549/ ?

- Pseudopath.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Pseudopath:

Windows 2K came preinstalled on this machine several years ago. Adobe is being installed from a CD. I have checked the site you left a link to. I found several sites with information about the 1606 error, but the one you linked to is specifically for Microsoft Programs. From the information we gathered, I've decided therer must be a registry setting we'll have to change. One source left information about checking drive letters in various areas of the registry. We checked them all and found that all of the drive letters were valid. Several links were for the C drive, several were for %currentuser%, and others were to various networked drives.

Any other guesses?

Magus

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hmm, okay.

Did you check the validity of those network drives you found?

Also have you searched the registry for the path the 1606 error threw up?

- Pseudopath.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Pseudopath:

I have checked the validity of all network drives. Everything is OK. When I search for A\Xlstart in the registry, I get nothing. I found three entries for Xlstart, alone, but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary with those entries. In fact, they all related to local drives. I searched for A\, but as you can imagine, I got back to many results to actually go through one at a time by hand. It would take days. Oh, by the way, the A\Xlstart is the path the program isn't finding.

Magus

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Okay, can you tell me the value of this registry key please :-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"SourcePath"=

And also when you receive the error does it offer the browse option and if so what's the file name?

- Pseudopath.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Pseudopath:

I'm not at work right now so will have to check that registry key tomorrow. When we receive the error, we do not have the option to browse. You can simply click "OK". Then, a second box appears telling us that the install failed. Again, all you can click on is "OK". At this point, the installation routine ends and we are forced to start over from the beginning.

I'll post that registry key as soon as I can get my hands on this guy's keyboard.

Thanks,

Magus

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I found this a while ago :-

http://www.experts-e...Q_21180655.html

have you seen it?

- Pseudopath.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

Sorry, didn't have time to check that Registry Key today.....too busy. I have not seen the web page you just posted a link to. I followed it, but I'd have to pay to get the answers I need. That seems silly to me.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Magus

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
If you just scroll down the page the answers are there with a link too.

It's free honestly ;¬)

- Pseudopath.