Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ram Installation

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i recently bought a Samsung 1GB PC3400 DDR Ram memory 184pin 400 MHZ, i just got it today too. i opened up the computer, inserted the only left ram slot in my mobo ( only has 3 slots, 2 are taken by 512's). after that i started up the computer, i opened up my montior and nothing, i waited for 5 minutes and nothing. although my computers front red light (showing its loading something or what not) was on o-o.

so then i tried it again, still the same. i took out the 1gb ram, and booted up the computer, and it worked with out the new 1gb ram. i looked in my mobo manual and it supports:

" 3x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for up to 3GB unbuffered ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 SDRAM memory " right out of the manual. and my mobo is a asus k8v-x.

any help? thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Means it doesn't like that new stick, OR it doesn't like that new stick in combination with the ones you have in there already. Any beeping noises?

See if the computer loads with the new stick on its own, you may have to put it in DIMM slot 1.

What speed is the memory you have in there now? (usually tells you by a sticker on the memory stick itself). Your board is a Socket 754 board, so it'll be a Sempron processor most likely and these only run at 333Mhz, though some memory sticks don't like it if you run them at a slower speed.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
when i took out the new 1gb ram, i heard a beeping noise when it started thats about it. i think i tried it just the 1 stick, but im not sure. im gonna try it out later, and update this post. my processor is an amd athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz.

just asking but what if it dosent start up on its own? the ram is broken? or the mobo cant handle it?

EDIT - i tried putting the ram by itself, didnt work.

Edited by silencer.dot, 25 September 2006 - 07:16 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
bump.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Since the system refuses to work with just the new stick in it, either that stick of memory is faulty or your board doesn't like it. Even in this day and age of motherboards being a lot less fussy then they used to be, the K8V series from Asus hasn't exactly been one of their finest products.