Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Files Valid But Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Hugmonster

Hugmonster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, my problem is probably going to have a simple answer, but here it is:

I er... aquired a copy of the old Microprose game Master's of Orion II, a game which I love. But when I go to run the setup file (Or any other realted files), I get a message telling me that the file is valid, but for a machine type different them mine. I run a Windows XP with the new 64-bit version, and I assume that it's just because the game is really rather old, but is there any way to change it so that the files will run?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm not sure but my best guess would be that this game is an older possibly 16bit game. XP 64 probably doesn't have a compatability mode for running these apps and if it did it would probably handle it as badly as 32bit XP does. I keep an old win 98 machine with directX 6 around for older games my wife likes to play. Some games, no matter the windows OS, just won't run on newer hardware. HTH

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well im not familliar with game but if its this then i hope this website helps you

http://lordbrazen.bl...ii-v140-on.html

siron

siron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Lord Brazen's guide doesnt work for XP 64bit edition.

But AFAIK you have no problem to load MOO2 via DOSbox under your OS:

http://masteroforion...sbox-guide.html

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I have the game and can run it fine under my 32bit xp home.. I'd say going for the dos option is the easyest for you, short of running it off a virtual computer using vmplayer