Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop/Old printer workaround?

• Please log in to reply

Flipper

Flipper

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have tried to connect my Canon BJC50 portable printer to my Toshiba A105 4094 laptop which has no parallel ports. I bought a parallel to USB cable and it takes 10 minutes for a page to print.. if it ends up printing at all.
In talking to Canon they said I was out of luck.. that the parallel spoke a different 'language' than the USB.
Someone said to try going thru a router - but I didn't understand what they were saying. If there is a workaround it needs to be something that I can still tote around with me without adding too much bulk or weight.

This has been THE most reliable printer I've ever used.. and am having troubles thinking I may have to go another route.. (tears).. But, if I do.. any suggestions on another portable printer? Not necessary to print photos.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

Flipper

Flipper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Uh, Oh.. no responses to my query... If no-one can figure a workaround is there anyone who can recommend a portable printer they've had experience with?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Where did you install the printer driver from?

Does it say for windows XP

If you click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, right click the printer, click update driver, choose from list, is there one for your printer

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have tried to connect my Canon BJC50 portable printer to my Toshiba A105 4094 laptop which has no parallel ports. I bought a parallel to USB cable and it takes 10 minutes for a page to print.. if it ends up printing at all.
In talking to Canon they said I was out of luck.. that the parallel spoke a different 'language' than the USB.
Someone said to try going thru a router - but I didn't understand what they were saying.

This won't work because using a router would still need your adaptor, which you've identified as being a bit hit-and-miss.

A lot of laptops (and many branded computer systems) have dropped support for legacy connectors now, so you won't find serial ports, parallel ports or even PS/2 ports now on models like these. Heck, on the back of a Dell machine you get 5 USB Ports, a network port, video port and a sound hole. And nothing else.

If there is a workaround it needs to be something that I can still tote around with me without adding too much bulk or weight.

The only real workaround to this is to find another portable printer that works off USB, as the USB to Parallel adaptors aren't very good and usually cause more trouble than they are worth.

Flipper

Flipper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the replies.
Keith: The driver is Windows XP approved. I downloaded it first from an online source, then downloaded the one that shows in the add printer wizard that is XP compatible.

Neil, sadly, I'm thinking I may be looking for another portable printer... or travel with an older laptop that can deal with my very reliable canon! poop.

Any hands on experience with portable printers? I've only seen two so far. One by HP one Canon (which looks to be more of a photo printer).