Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd/ dvd drive not working

• Please log in to reply

rhirhi

rhirhi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi. i have a 2 year old samsung laptop. the cd/ dvd drive is not working at the moment. when i put a disc in the drive it does not register. when i look in the 'my computer' folder there doesn't seem to be a file present. i had this problem before, and someone on here advised that i used a program called 'cd gone'. this did the trick last time. but now it doesn't work. what would you suggest? should i download 'cd gone' again? is there anything else i could try?
thank you very much. rhi

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Does the cd drive show up in "my computer"? If it does, you probably don't need to run the cd gone patch. Go to start, my computer, right click properties, hardware tab, device manager. Does the drive show up there and is there a yellow ! next to it? Have you tried cleaning the optical lens?

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it doesn't show up in 'my computer'

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Check the BIOS and make sure that your Drive shows on the Secondary Master or Slave.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, if it does not show up in my computer, try running the cd gone patch:
http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
what is a BIOS? how would i check this??

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
the cd gone patch has not worked. any other ideas? thanks for your help so far.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
To access the bios, on boot up press the delete key. Some manufacturers use one of the F keys. Check your system documentation. You want to enter "setup" which is the bios, and check to see if the cd drive is detected there.

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi. it doesn't show up.
i have found the discs that came with the computer, that have the drivers on them. however, i obviously can't use these as the cd drive is not working! would it be possible to insert this disc into another computer, and save the driver onto a usb stick, and transfer it that way? alternatively, is there anywhere online where i could download the driver ? (i have googled but with little success.) it is a toshiba MK4025GAS. could this work, or have i got the completely wrong idea.
thank you for all your help and patience so far.
rhi

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If the CD Drive is not detected on BIOS, then check the CD Drive to see if it plug into the motherboard.

Advertisements

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

If the CD Drive is not detected on BIOS, then check the CD Drive to see if it plug into the motherboard.

i'm sorry but i have no idea what that means or how to do it :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi rhirhi
To check the plugs are pushed into motherboard and the back of your CD-ROM you have open your computer case up either by unscrewing it and lift the case off or pushing buttons at the top and bottom of your case. once inside be very careful not to touch anything else your looking for the plugs that goes into the back of your drive, and you want to push it in but be careful and then do the same with the motherboard plug but don't touch motherboard surface or it's chips. after doing this put your case back on and see if that helps. I hope this helps to explain things for you. good luck

P.s Not sure if this applies a laptop computer but would still have open it up and check plugs Etc

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 02 October 2006 - 05:01 AM.

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey cheyenne, thanks for the explanation. being a complete technophobe, though, i feel that is something i should not attempt. far too risky. any comments on my above post, and whether that approach would work?
thanks once again.
rhi

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi rhirhi
your welcome I am not a tech but in the bios what drives are listed and does your drive make any attempt to work as in whizzing sounds or anything like that.

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 29 September 2006 - 04:34 PM.

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
definite whizzing noise. will check the bios thing again to see which drives are listed

Edited by rhirhi, 29 September 2006 - 04:40 PM.