Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd/ dvd drive not working

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi rhirhi
If it is making a whizzing sound it is getting power so check to see if the cd drive is detected in the bios and if it shows up in there make sure it has a Tick next to it . I'll check back tomorrow

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

Todger

Todger

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

hi. it doesn't show up.
i have found the discs that came with the computer, that have the drivers on them. however, i obviously can't use these as the cd drive is not working! would it be possible to insert this disc into another computer, and save the driver onto a usb stick, and transfer it that way? alternatively, is there anywhere online where i could download the driver ? (i have googled but with little success.) it is a toshiba MK4025GAS. could this work, or have i got the completely wrong idea.
thank you for all your help and patience so far.
rhi

Hi - Think you might be on the wrong track as the Toshiba MK4025GAS is your hard disc not a CD/DVD Drive.

Todger

Todger

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi rhirhi
To check the plugs are pushed into motherboard and the back of your CD-ROM you have open your computer case up either by unscrewing it and lift the case off or pushing buttons at the top and bottom of your case. once inside be very careful not to touch anything else your looking for the plugs that goes into the back of your drive, and you want to push it in but be careful and then do the same with the motherboard plug but don't touch motherboard surface or it's chips. after doing this put your case back on and see if that helps. I hope this helps to explain things for you. good luck

Cheyenne - think he said in his original post that it was a laptop - so he may have a problem following your
instructions.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi rhirhi
Did you check your drives in the bios yet as you said there was a definite whizzing noise it's getting power. your quote( " definite whizzing noise. will check the bios thing again to see which drives are listed " )
as Todger said this Toshiba MK4025GAS is the hard drive so if your CD-ROM still isn't working have you tried downloading new driver's for it try the link's below for driver downloads and download them onto your desktop and see if that work's other than that it could be faulty and you might have to replace it. Good Luck

http://www.samsung.com/index.htm

http://www.toshiba.c...new/Support.htm

And thanks you for your tip Todger

Edited by cheyenne 09, 02 October 2006 - 06:39 AM.

rhirhi

rhirhi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok, very confused, once again. thank you all for your patience thus far. my computer is a samsung v25 laptop. have had a look at samsung site, and am confused. don't know what i should look at downloading. once again any help would be much appreciated. thanks
rhirhi

^_^

^_^

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Does the cd drive show up in "my computer"? If it does, you probably don't need to run the cd gone patch. Go to start, my computer, right click properties, hardware tab, device manager. Does the drive show up there and is there a yellow ! next to it? Have you tried cleaning the optical lens?

HI, i have the same problem, and it does have a a yellow ! next ti, what should i do?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi rhirhi
Try this and see if this work's --How to troubleshoot CD-ROM drive problems in Windows XP. Please follow these instructions. And see if this helps. Good luck

link below copy and paste into your search bar at the top---next to your home page

support.microsoft.com/kb/314096/EN-US/