Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or Corrupt system32 files

• Please log in to reply

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran a scan disk before defragging my computer. Got to Phase 4 on the scan disk & stopped! Says that I have Missing or Corrupt Files in System32. I have no idea what that means. Tried to repair using my Nobilis Operating Prouct Recovery CD-ROM. I pressed 'R' for repair then I got totally confused on what to do next.
Is it possible to repair my System32 Files? If so, how do I do it ? I am new to computers & have only had mine for 6 months. I need step by step Instructions Please. I had this same problem 3 weeks ago so I took it in to the shop. He fixed it but he also wiped out alot of my files & failed to re-install my Nero & Power DVD. He said that I had a virus but couldn't tell me how or where I got it from. He charged me $80 & I really don't have the money to let him work on it again But if it is something that I can't fix I guess that I will take it in again. Any help that you can give me will be appreciated greatly! :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shih-tzucrazy1...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and press "Enter". You will be told the volume is busy and asked if you want to run the dheck on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here is some more info about my problem.When I turned on computer the following page comes on

Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\conf ig\SYSTEM

Safe Mode
SafeMode w/ Networking
Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

You can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen
Highlight your choice that you want to perform

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...It seems I overlooked the part about Windows not starting. :whistling:

Are you able to boot to the cd? Or do you not have one...

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have my CD but I'm not sure how to do a reboot from it. I'm a newbie to computers so i need it in plain english. LOL I'm not that adept at computer talk! My computer guy said that it is probably the hard drive & ordered me a new one but i will lose all my documents & pics that I have saved. I need step-by-step instructions as to what to do this.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There is a possibility that this is, indeed, a bad hard drive.

Tried to repair using my Nobilis Operating Prouct Recovery CD-ROM. I pressed 'R' for repair then I got totally confused on what to do next.

Do this again. You should be taken to a screen that will ask you which operating system you want to repair. If you only have one operating system installed, which I assume is so, it should already be selected.

Can you get to this screen?

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I got that far & pressed 1 for C:\\Windows. This is where I got confused cause it gave me a list of computer words & the only one that I knew was DELETE. I did see system SYSTEMBOOT I think but the others were just letters to me. Sorry I wish that I knew more about this stuff! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does this image look anything like the screen you're talking about?
FF.gif

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes this is where i became lost!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is listed in the box on that screen? Is there a Windows installation listed?

Advertisements

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes it says C: Partition1 (834066) [NTFS] 152625MB [136732MB free]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With that partition selected, press "Enter".

What's the next screen you see?

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Caution: Installing multiple OS on a single partition is not recommended.
To continue Setup using this partition, Press C
To select a different partition, press ESC

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is going a slightly different direction than what I'd like, but it may actually be the way to go under the circumstances. It's going to do a parallel install of XP by the looks of it. This will allow you to recover the data from the installation that's not working. Then we can work on either repairing the original installation, or failing that, remove it.

Of course, this all depends on the health of the hard drive.

Press C

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
now it says this
Format the partition using the NTFS file system(Quick)
Format the partition using th NTFS file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes

it says to scroll to the one that we want to do