Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 - HDTV?

• Please log in to reply

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I have a Xbox 360. I don't have a HDTV. I have a 27" non HD TV. I'm saving up for a LCD HDTV in the price range of $1,500 - which i found some very good ones. My question is: I don't know anything about HDTV compatibility with Xbox 360. Actually i don't know anything about HDTV. So i dont want to go buy a LCD HDTV and it not work with my Xbox 360. Can someone assist me in choosing a LCD HDTV that works with Xbox 360.

Some HDTV i was looking at say: HDTV Ready, HDTV Tuner. and Also:

Xbox 360 HDTV stuff i dont understand:

HD Game Support

All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
Standard definition and high definition video output supported

Audio

Multichannel surround sound output
Supports 48 KHz 16-bit audio
320 independent decompression channels
32-bit audio processing
Over 256 audio channels

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 26 September 2006 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You really don't need to worry about it. Whatever HDTV you get, Xbox 360 will work with it. It's recently been announced that it will support 1080p via an automatic software upgrade. FYI, you'll use component inputs to connect the Xbox to your HDTV, so ensure you have enough inputs if you also need component inputs for a satellite box, DVD, etc.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
so are you saying that all ill have to do is plug in my xbox 360 wires: red, blue, green, red, white, (it says leave out white) and i can play in HDTV graphics.

*picture attached thats shows you.

Picture statement:

"To connect to a high-definition (shown) or standard-definition TV or monitor, see the connection page for the Xbox 360™ cable that came with your system or for the accessory you're planning to connect."

Included with the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system:

* Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable (i have this)

Attached Thumbnails

• ProToHDTV.jpg

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Correct. There will be three cables in a group: red, blue, green. These provide the HD signal for the picture. The red and white will provide the signal for the sound, and you'll want to use them both for stereo or surround sound. All of these outputs are analog.

The new standard in HD cables is the HDMI cable. It carries the picture in a true digital format, as well as digital audio. Xbox 360 does not offer an HDMI option, but I'd be very surprised if they don't at some point in the near future.

P.S. Xbox 360 really needs HD to appreciate the graphics. :whistling:

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yea thats why I'm getting a HDTV - im undecided between LCD or Plasma. I heard LCD is better because it lasts longer.

When I'm searching for the right tv which spesification should I look for that will tell me i can use it with Xbox 360. like the size, or the 1080i (whater that means)

Cables:

Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable (have)
Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (don't know what this does)
Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable (don't know what this does)

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 27 September 2006 - 05:53 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

When I'm searching for the right tv which specification should I look for that will tell me i can use it with Xbox 360. like the size, or the 1080i (whater that means)

Anything HDTV will work. Just stay away from EDTV plasma screens, they are too low of resolution to be considered high-definition.

720p has 720 lines of horizontal resolution refreshed 60 times per second.

1080i has 1080 lines of horizontal resolution. Every other line is refreshed 30 times per second.

1080p is not an "official" HD standard, but is being support by more displays. Only HDDVD and Blueray players can display 1080P currently. The 360 and PS3 will support it in the future. I don't know of any plans to broadcast 1080p picture quality. 1080p is 1080 lines refreshed every 60 seconds.

Most experts agree that 720p offers the best broadcast viewing experience. Mostly LCDs offer 1080p support, but some plasma screens are too. At anything under 37" inches you really can't tell the difference between any of the resolutions, so it's not much if an issue.

There really isn't a lot of difference between LCD and plasma screens anymore. I'm sure you'll be very happy with whichever you choose. I ended up choosing a plasma screen myself. The problems with short life and burn-in were resolved long ago. A plasma will lose about half it's brightness in 60,000 hours. Most CRT TV's lose half their brightness after 25,000 hours. How long is 60,000 hours? If you watched TV 8 hours a day, every day for 20 years, it would be about 60,000 hours. It's not recommended that you leave static images on a plasma for an extended period (just like CRTs), however any "burn-in" is usually gone after a few hours of viewing regular content. If the display will be used "primarily" for gaming, then an LCD is probably your best choice.

I chose a plasma because the color saturation and contrast were better than comparable LCDs. I also wanted a 50" screen, and LCDs were too expensive in that size range. I also didn't like the viewing angles of LCD screen. Even though they can claim 170 degree viewing, the colors tend to shift and brightness is reduced when viewing off center. A plasma will provide the same experience at any angle.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So when a HDTV: under specs says: either HDTV Tuner, or HDTV Ready. what does that mean. I heard that the Tuner means you can watch TV in HD. and the Rady only mean like Games not TV. Correct?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hd ready basically means you can give it an HD input and it will use it to the best of its ability, an HD tuner just like you said means it can actually recieve and decode an HD television signal on its own without the extra box although i think that depends on other factors as well.

If its for your xbox and below 40" then go for an LCD its cheaper and more importantly has better response times and i always think LCDs are clearer and brighter but you do get good plasmas but they are getting scarcer these days with a 40" LCD under £800 plasma sales really have taken a nose dive.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So any suggestions of a brand of LCD HDTV's between $1000 - $1500????

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Brand really isnt that big a factor as most of the tvs apart from asthetic differences are more or less identical to one another they generally use the same panels and tuners so as long as the specs are right and the warranty is ok you are fine with whatever brand. You pay a little more for TVs with more advanced image processing facilities and brands like sony and samsung(although most use the panels they make) cheaper TVs seem to use the tuners/image processors from LG which are fine.

Advertisements

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
some TV's im considering tell me what you think:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889165001

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889112005

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824022014

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889116005

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889022018

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824112174

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824022015

yea

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those olevia ones look very impressive for the price. But only the large Sceptre is capable of outputting 1080 on the screen the rest can accept 1080 input but scale down to the television 720.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Im confused. With all these 1080i stuff. you saying the 37" / 40" TV's do not disply HDTV 1080i. I thought all LCD/Plasma(dont want) TV are in HD no matter what size they are. Send the link your talking about for a very good, cheap, TV for Xbox 360.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Like would this tv (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824022014) support the top quality xbox 360 graphics/shows on tv in 1080i resolution (which im guessing is the best/and what xbox 360 projects to HDTV's)

"Xbox 360 offers unprecedented support for high-definition gaming, yet it remains flexible as well. Whether using a standard definition TV (480i), an HDTV with only one progressive scan option, or an HDTV with every available option (up to 720p and 1080i), or even a computer monitor, Xbox 360 will employ the best resolution your TV or monitor can display."

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 28 September 2006 - 10:22 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's not that a 37" can't display 1080, but they pixels are so small tht you can't tell the difference between that and 720 unless you're very close. It's not very important until you get to the larger sizes.

Also, 1080i displays alternate lines -- so 540 lines and then the other 540 lines. 720p refreshes all 720 lines every time. The net effect is that more pixels are lit and displayed with a 720p screen than a 1080i. 1080p is the likely future of HDTV and the 360 and PS3 will support it. Then all 1080 lines are refreshed at the same time -- like 720p.