Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 - HDTV?

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Xbox 360 doesn't support HDMI. It may when the HDDVD player is introduced. The only cable you need is the component cable that comes standard.

Regarding quality of HDMI cables -- that's bunk. Don't waste hundreds of dollars on a cable that transmits a digital signal. Either it works or it doesn't, you're not going to notice any picture quality differences.

Advertisements

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
so the main question wasnt answered directly. If i were to buy a LCD HDTV really soon, its would support the Xbox 360 highest output of resolution to the tv. meaning it would be better quality than what i see now on my 27" Philips TV. So i will be playing in HD, and also watching HD TV if it comes with a HDTV Tuner, but if it doesnt i can still play in HD, just no TV in HD. Cables i dont think are a problem b/c my 360 came with the HDTV cable necessary for playing on a HDTV in HD.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Oh and also what does "High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)" have to do with the 360 anyway. I thought its simply 1 cable from the 360 to hdtv and *poof* im playing in HD. Considering the 360 is a dvd player i can also watch a dvd on the HDTV. but i dont think the 360 supports those "Blue-Ray HD DVDs"...yet.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Buy ANY high definition TV, plug in your Xbox 360, and you'll be playing in HD. It's that simple. It will be a much better picture than you see on your current 27" standard definition TV.

If you want to watch TV, you can watch standard definition or HD broadcasts with a built-in tuner. If the display doesn't come with a built-in tuner, you will need to connect a cable box, satellite tuner, or external tuner.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
HDMI is a purely digital interface. Digital Xbox signal would stream to your digital display. Component output is analog, so The digital signal is converted to analog, and back to digital by the display. The less conversion, the better the picture quality. Although, it's a VERY small difference, barely noticeable to the average viewer.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Can we keep this open, incase I have any further questions, b/c ill hopefully be getting that TV soon, and will prob have questions for all of you. By the way you guys told me a lot about this. It helped a lot. Before this i didnt know anything about HDTV.

Thank You

-SOLO aka TechMan1000 (Xbox 360 Live(Halo2))

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We dont usually close topics except in malware and exceptional cases so you are ok ask whatever you want whenever.

The analogue/digital difference is hardly anything anymore the time it took to develop the digital interfaces the analogue ones improved so much that the difference wasnt really worth it for most.

There will be no HDMI on the 360 unless sony put and HDMI on the basic model PS3, Although the logic is a little flawed to be honest because with the HD DVD upgrade the 360 costs the same as the ps3 with the HDMI. You only have to worry about cables in analogue systems really digital is more immune to interferance it can still eb affected but less so, i would never reccomend spending ALOT on cables just spending more than the cheapest, especially on simple things like scart and coax cable you see a difference from spending a bit more and getting the not quite cheapest stuff.

HDTV is quite complicated you should try and stay up to date because its not a set standard so thinks can change.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Ok i'll tell you guys when i'm about to go and purchase a LCD HDTV (either at Circuit City, Best Buy, B&H, Onine, etc...), so maybe you can give me some last second tips/specs I should tell the worker helping me choose a TV. Such as size, ratio, resolution, speakers, cables (for sure), etc...

Thank You. :whistling:

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 05 October 2006 - 10:34 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its usually best to know what you want before you go in and then just say to them i want XXX TV thank you and just get it if you let them talk to you about it usaully they will try to get you to buy a more expensive one or cheaper/older models they need to shift.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
haha, I just found smt.

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=802558

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 11 October 2006 - 10:57 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a heads up, the price is usually higher when you pre-order before the product realeases. The reviews i have read said that it'll be 170$USD, unless something has changed. But if its worth more to you to buy it now and have it the moment it comes out, go for it. Wonder how many advantages it will really show in the gaming world.......
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 October 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Wow, I haven't been in here for a while. I am still saving up for a HDTV, I have around $500. Anyway, I have a question. My uncle just got on, he said that it cost more than the HDTV to set it up!!!. Does it need any requirements to get good quality, like a serivce or a one time pay, or not at all. Like he has a IO cable box. I have Cable, but not the box, just through the wire connecting to the back, or the Modem, which is also used for internet.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want to use the HDTV and get an HD signal then you need things like HD tv subscription and the appropriate hardware to get it, you need an HD capable media player things like that you can use it as a normal telly and itll be nice flat panel tv but if you want to use it at its maximum resolution then you do need special hardware but it works fine without it just not at HD resolution as the input signals will all be standard unless you hook your PC up to it if its only a 720p then it wont make the biggest of differences although if you spend more and get the 1080p or i sets then you should definately get the HD tv and media devices to actually use it.

Alot of 720p ones are dirt cheap you can get them for as little as £400 here cheaper than non HD sets.

An xbox doesnt have HDMI so its not as easy to hook up but i think they have component which i think can manage HD output although it wont be as good as an hdmi, cant be totally sure because im not a console person.

Edited by warriorscot, 22 January 2007 - 01:15 PM.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

so are you saying that all ill have to do is plug in my xbox 360 wires: red, blue, green, red, white, (it says leave out white) and i can play in HDTV graphics.

*picture attached thats shows you.

Don't you mean "Leave out Yellow"?

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Idk, right now I don't have a HDTV so it doesn't matter, once I get one ill come back here to clear stuff up.