Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change Internet Homepage

• Please log in to reply

Walter C

Walter C

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Help. I can't change my home page from http://hp-desktop.aol.com/, now matter what I do and it is very annoying. Please help?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Walter C!

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Walter C

Walter C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is the folder.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything unusual in your HJT log. Looks good to me.

However, I see you are using SpySweeper. One of the features in SpySweeper's shield section is to lock your homepage, so it is not changed by malware. I bet that is your problem.

I don't personally have SpySweeper, so I can't give direct instructions. But if you open it, and click on the Shields tab/section, you should see somewhere in there about locking the homepage. If you see that, and it is checked, UNcheck it. Now try to change your homepage.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have trouble finding that. :whistling:

Walter C

Walter C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks. That worked.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool :whistling:

I always enjoy the occasional simple problem/solution :blink:

sweatandscience

sweatandscience

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The only thing that can be done about this is to buy a program to stop it?

I find it hard to believe that we are ok with that.

I have had the same problem with my homepage being redirected to hp-desktop.aol.com, no matter what program I use to lock it in to google or ask.com.

This is frustrating that no one can seem to figure out how to fix it on any of the boards.

I thought browser hijacks were a thing of the past, but I guess this one has everyone stumped.

I hope that one day someone will be able to get rid of this annoying problem, but for now it seem we only can get a few well intentioned but nonetheless useless ideas and my homepage is still hp-desktop.aol.com.

But thanks anyway, guys. Keep workin on it.